Search Results

results per page
Displaying 1 to 50 (of 604) for

Short-term student visa

This information is for you if you are currently outside the UK and you want to come to study in the UK as a 'short-term student' because either: you are not eligible to apply for a Tier 4 stud...
14/12/2017 16:23:00

Research or research tuition maximum of 6 months

If you want to come to the UK under this route, you must meet all the following requirements: You are at least 18 years of age. This will be reduced to 16 for immigration applications (...
14/12/2017 16:13:00

English language course maximum of 11 months

The Immigration Rules usually allow short-term students to come to the UK for a maximum of 6 months. However, there is a special provision in the Immigration Rules that allows people to come as s...
14/12/2017 16:11:00

Short course maximum of 6 months

If you want to come to the UK under this route, you must meet all the following requirements: You are genuinely seeking entry as a short-term student You are at least 18 years of age. T...
14/12/2017 16:08:00

Eligible courses

You can study a full-time recognised UK degree or degree-level course which leads to an approved qualification. The qualification must be at RQF level 6 or SCQF level 9 or above. You can browse the&nb...
14/12/2017 15:54:00

Can you apply in the UK?

First, check that the start date of your new course of studies (as stated on your CAS) is no more than 28 days after the end of your current visa. If the start date is later, you must leave the UK and...
14/12/2017 11:45:00


13/12/2017 14:36:00

Visa conditions

As a short-term student, you have the same conditions, whether you applied for entry clearance or not. If you have successfully applied for entry clearance, check the vignette (sticker) in your ...
12/12/2017 14:55:00

Short-term student (child)

If you are under 18 (Note - this will reduce to 16 if you apply for immigration permission in this category from 11 January 2018) you will have to meet all the requirements for a 'short-term studen...
12/12/2017 14:32:00

Studying in the UK?

Study tips for international students in the UK Health and healthcare Working while studying in the UK Driving Facing culture shock in a new country Complaints about you...
12/12/2017 11:41:00

Tier 4: eligibility and requirements

Tier 4 (General) visas can only be issued for certain courses.  If your course is eligible course then your institution will give you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) with which you...
11/12/2017 11:37:00

Short-term student

If you are in the UK as a short-term student, your passport sticker or the stamp in your passport will say "No work" or "Work prohibited". This means that you are not allowed to: take paid emp...
04/12/2017 16:04:00

Leaving or interrupting your studies

Even if you have Tier 4 immigration permission that allows you to work, you should not work if you leave your course or take a break from it before you have completed it. This includes the situation w...
04/12/2017 16:00:00

Work before, after the course and in vacations

Most Tier 4 students have immigration permission that starts up to one month before the course start date and extends for up to four months beyond the end of their studies. Students who are allowed...
04/12/2017 15:59:00

Work placements and internships

Placements are an excellent way of obtaining work experience, especially if you are not otherwise allowed to take employment in the UK. The experience you gain can help you make decisions about your l...
04/12/2017 15:59:00

How can you check that you are allowed to work?

Check what your passport sticker (entry clearance or residence permit) or biometric residence permit (BRP) says. You should also have received detailed information in a letter when you received your...
04/12/2017 15:58:00

Extended family members

The UK government should undertake an extensive examination of the personal circumstances of your extended family member (s) (including their financial or physical dependence on you) before a decision...
04/12/2017 11:26:00

Money saving tips

Talk to other students when you arrive in the UK: they will be able to tell you the cheapest places to shop and where to get the things that you are looking for. Food shopping.  Superm...
30/11/2017 15:09:00

Cost of living

This varies, according to where in the UK you decide to study. London and other big cities are more expensive than other areas.  The institution where you choose to study will be able to advise y...
30/11/2017 15:02:00


The International Student Calculator is an online interactive tool specially designed to help you prepare a budget before you arrive in the UK or when you get here.  It also contains useful infor...
30/11/2017 14:50:00

Temporary absence

Temporary absences from the residence area can be ignored when deciding if you have been  ordinarily resident in an area for a specific length of time, usually three years for the fees and ...
15/11/2017 15:15:00

How many hours can you work?

Your work conditions, including the maximum hours you can work during term-time, are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), and will depend mainly on...
14/11/2017 16:09:00

Who is a dependant?

Your partner and your child can be your Tier 4 dependant. Your parent, brother, sister or other relative cannot. Your partner  'Partner' means Your husband or wife Your civ...
07/11/2017 16:39:00

How to help yourself

Though culture shock is normally a temporary phase, it is important to know there are things you can do to help so that some of these worrying effects can be minimised. Don’t feel “this is...
06/11/2017 15:10:00

Government guidance on ordinary residence

Government departments have produced guides to ordinary residence in different contexts. Student Finance England's guidance on assessing student finance eligibility Student Awards Agency Scotland'...
02/11/2017 11:45:00

Protecting your Tier 4 status

This section is for anyone who has, or who is applying for, Tier 4 immigration permission. Your Tier 4 permission can be in the form of: an entry clearance vignette/sticker, which you applied f...
23/10/2017 09:13:00

Tier 4 conditions

Your Tier 4 immigration permission will be subject to certain conditions. It is very important that you understand these conditions. A breach of conditions can have serious consequences for both your ...
23/10/2017 09:13:00


Accessibility statement These features have been provided to help make our site as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. All text should be resizable using your browser's t...
18/10/2017 12:15:00

Frauds and scams

Some criminals specifically target international students, telephoning them and pretending to be from a legitimate organisation (such as the UK Home Office, an education agent or even UKCISA). They d...
18/10/2017 11:59:00

Right of permanent residence

If you have resided lawfully for five years continuously you have acquired the ‘right of permanent residence’ in the UK, by virtue of the Citizens’ Directive (2004/38/EC). The UK's E...
18/10/2017 11:07:00

Opening a bank account

There are a number of factors you should consider when choosing, and opening, a bank account or building society account as an international student in the UK. We cannot advise you on which account, a...
06/10/2017 17:04:00

Further Education: Apprenticeship courses

You will be eligible as a 'home' student if you come within one, or more, of the categories below and you are: studying an Apprenticeship course at a college in England; and aged 16 years ...
05/10/2017 14:00:00

Medical treatment

Most students are able to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their country of residence prior to coming to the UK. This card allows EEA nationals to get the same medical treatment, wh...
02/10/2017 16:45:00

How to apply?

For undergraduate degree level courses at UK publicly-funded institutions, you should apply through the central admissions system called the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). The UC...
28/09/2017 10:45:00

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Your permission to be in the UK is issued as a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), separate from your passport. A BRP is a plastic card similar to a credit card which contains your personal information,...
20/09/2017 10:27:00

Submitting your application

You complete and submit the form online, then you submit your supporting documents to the Home Office by post (a Standard or Priority application) or in person (a Premium application).
20/09/2017 10:25:00

Application checklist

This checklist is a summary of the steps involved in making a Tier 4 (General) application in the UK. We have included links to more detailed information and to external websites. Choose i...
18/09/2017 10:54:00

How the UK medical system works

15/09/2017 20:33:00

Health and healthcare

Arriving in a new country is a very busy time for international students and there are a lot of changes to go through. For example, there are differences in food, weather and customs to cope with. In ...
15/09/2017 20:09:00

Travel to your institution

Check any information your college or university has sent you, as it may include information about how to get there from the main airports and other ports in the UK. Some colleges and universities al...
10/09/2017 23:04:00

Facing culture shock

While usually temporary, culture shock is common among international students arriving in the UK. You will notice differences between the way things are done and what you are used to at home. These in...
10/09/2017 23:04:00

Restricted and prohibited items when entering the UK

When you have found all your baggage you must pass through Customs Control. Join the queue for either the green channel if you have nothing to declare, the red channel if you have goods to declare, ...
10/09/2017 23:03:00

Planning your housing

When you are planning your housing be clear what the options are be clear what you want, what you need, what you can afford and what you would be prepared to compromise on secure...
10/09/2017 23:02:00

Study skills for success

10/09/2017 23:02:00

Choosing a course

10/09/2017 23:01:00

Preparing for your arrival to the UK

Preparing for your arrival to the UK can seem particularly overwhelming. You may have lots of questions; what do I need to bring? How do I arrange my travel? What paperwork do I need to have? Read our...
10/09/2017 23:00:00

Students' unions in the UK

Find out about students' unions at Fresher’s Fair. This is often the week before classes start when you can find out about all the things that are happening in the student union and join in many...
04/09/2017 17:11:00

Tuition fees

The Complete University Guide publishes a survey of University Tuition Fees in the UK each year. Fees at other types of provider, including private providers and publicly-funded further educ...
31/08/2017 11:40:00

Your qualifications

You can check the equivalence of your country's qualifications with those in the UK by contacting the National Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC). The international recruitment staff...
31/08/2017 11:39:00


  • Site content
  • News