Wales: fee status

Last modified: 25 September 2019

Publicly funded educational institutions normally charge two levels of fee: a lower 'home' fee and a higher 'overseas' fee. Private sector institutions often have only one level of tuition fee, which all students must pay.

Whether you pay a 'home' or 'overseas' fee depends on whether you meet certain criteria.

Please read the information on Home or Overseas fees? before looking at our explanation of the fees regulations/guidance for your relevant area of the UK.

Remember that, in the context of the fees regulations/guidance, certain terms mean what is explained for them in the 'definitions' and not what you might interpret from an ‘everyday’ understanding of the words.

Higher Education

Last modified: 25 September 2019

There are two relevant sets of fees regulations in Wales:

The regulations are amended by the Government from time-to-time. Keep an eye on this page as we will update it whenever amendments are made.

The information, below, explains the conditions you currently need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the 'home' rate for study on a higher education (HE) course in Wales. If you meet all the criteria required by any one category, including any residence requirements, your institution must charge you a 'home' fee rate.

1. Those who are 'settled' in the UK and meet the main residence requirements

2. Those who are 'settled' in the UK and have exercised a 'right of residence' in the EEA and/or Switzerland

3. EU nationals, and family

4. ‘EU Nationals in the UK’

5. Those with the 'right of permanent residence' in the UK

6. EEA/Swiss workers, and family

7. Child of a Swiss National

8. Child of a Turkish worker

9. Refugees, and family

10. ‘Persons with leave to enter or remain’ (humanitarian protection or discretionary leave or family life or private life), and family

11. Persons with stateless leave, and family

12. Those with section 67 leave, and children

Further Education

Last modified: 06 November 2018

This information explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the ‘home’ rate on courses of further education (FE) in Wales.

The Welsh Government provides funding to FE institutions for 'home' students. It advises institutions to determine 'home' fees eligibility using its Guide to the post-16 planning and funding framework.

If you fit into one of the categories below, an institution must charge you 'home' fees.

The Guide to the post-16 planning and funding framework is based upon The Education (Fees and Awards) (Wales) Regulations 2007, as amended, which are primarily used for higher education (HE) fees assessment. If you are a FE student who does not appear to be eligible under the provisions in the Guide, and below, you can also check whether there is, instead, provision for you under Higher Education (Wales: fee status).

1. Those who are 'settled' in the UK

2. EU/overseas territories nationals, and family

3. EEA / Swiss / overseas territories workers, and family

4. Refugees, and family

5. Person with HP, DL, ELE/ELR, and family

6. Child of a Swiss National

7. Child of a Turkish worker

8. Reciprocal exchange

9. Asylum seekers, and their dependants

10. Those aged 16-18 years

11. Recently settled

12. Spouse/civil partner of a settled person/an EEA national

13. Non-EEA citizens with three years' ordinary residence in the UK

14. Exceptional circumstances

Definitions: for fee status assessment

Last modified: 12 April 2019

This section has explanations about words and terms which occur in our information, above. These explanations should not be read in isolation but, instead, combined with the appropriate fee status category.


European Economic Area (EEA)

European Union (EU)

First day of the academic year

Ordinary residence

Overseas Territories


UK and Islands

Relevant family members of EU nationals

Relevant family members of EEA workers

Relevant family members of Swiss workers

Meaning of 'child'