This information is for you if you are currently outside the UK and you want to come to study in the UK as a 'short-term student' because either:
- you are not eligible to apply for a Tier 4 student visa OR
- you have chosen not to apply for a Tier 4 student visa as you meet the requirements for a 'short-term student' visa
This information explains what you need to do to get immigration permission in order to come to study in the UK as a 'short-term student'.
The ordinary 'short-term student' category will allow you to come to the UK if you are 18 years or older, and want to enter:
- for up to 6 months to study a short course OR
- for up to 11 months to study an English language course OR
- if you are enrolled on a course abroad that is at least equivalent to the level of a UK bachelor's degree, you can enter for up to 6 months to do research, or to receive tuition on how to conduct research, at a UK institution
The 'short-term student (child)' category will allow you to come to the UK if you are under 18 years old, and want to enter:
- for up to 6 months to study a course
When applying as a short-term student, you must intend to leave the UK at the end of your study (if it is before the date your immigration permission ends). If your study continues until the date that your immigration permission ends, you must leave the UK no later than this date. Short-term students are not allowed to apply to switch into any other immigration category while still in the UK. If you wish to continue studying in the UK after your immigration permission as a short-term student has come to an end, you will need to return home and apply for entry clearance as a Tier 4 student, or in another appropriate immigration category.
As a short-term student, you cannot do any kind of work, work placement or work experience during your studies in the UK. If you want to be allowed to work in the UK during your studies, you will need to apply to enter the UK as a Tier 4 student or in another appropriate immigration category instead. We have information about which Tier 4 students can work in the UK.
For information from the UK immigration authorities about short-term students, please read the Home Office information for applicants. You can also read the modernised guidance on short-term students that they give to their own staff.