Student immigration: the basics

Since 5 October 2020, 'Tier 4 (General)' leave has become 'Student' permission and 'Tier 4 (Child)' leave has become 'Child student' permission. 'Student' includes Tier 4 (General) and 'Child student' includes Tier 4 (Child).

Most types of immigration permission allow you to study in the UK.

The categories aimed specifically at students are the Student route and short-term student.

In this section of the site, we provide information about:

The Child Student route might be appropriate for you if you are aged 18 or under and want to study at an independent school. We do not describe the requirements for Child students, but you can find the information you need and links to application forms on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Seeking immigration advice

The UK’s immigration system may seem complex but there are many sources of credible and up-to-date advice to help you. Always check that whoever provides the advice is competent to do so. Only lawyers authorised by a designated professional body (for example, barristers, solicitors and legal executives) or advisers regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) can provide immigration advice. The OISC's role is to ensure that immigration advisers are competent and act in the best interest of the people they advise. Therefore, it is important that you seek advice from the right place.

Your institution/ students’ union


Other places to seek advice