Students' union sabbatical officers

Last modified: 07 February 2024

We describe here the immigration requirements for sabbatical officers.

The Great British Mag explains what UK students' unions do and how they can help you. We include guilds and associations when we use the term ‘students' union’.

Information for sponsors and students' unions is in our Immigration manual. The manual is available only to UKCISA members. UKCISA membership is free for students' unions. See Membership.

On 5 October 2020, the term 'Student permission' replaced 'Tier 4 (General) student leave'. The term 'Student' includes holders of Tier 4 (General) student immigration permission.

Information for students and recent graduates

Last modified: 23 August 2022

Students' union sabbatical officers receive payment for elected executive union positions. 'Sabbatical officer' also includes elected posts with the National Union of Students (NUS). These posts are usually full time.

This information is for you if you have Student or Tier 4 permission, and

  • you want to stand for election as a students' union sabbatical officer, or
  • other students have already elected you.

When you can do the role and how often

Financial sponsorship and loans

Right to work checks

Study as a sabbatical officer

Applying for Student permission

Last modified: 23 August 2022

This information assumes you already have Student permission. Talk to your college or university if:

  • you are studying with a different type of permission, and
  • you need to apply for Student permission.

This could be because your permission will expire. Or because your current permission does not allow you to work.

You have not completed your course

You have completed your course

Finance for your Student application

English language

Where to apply and length of permission

Your endorsement

Your student sponsor's duties

Options when a sabbatical officer post ends

Last modified: 23 August 2022

You might be able to stand for re-election. Check if your sponsor is happy with that. You can apply again for Student permission, if necessary. Other options are below.

Finish your course

Take a new course

Work options