Search Results

results per page
Displaying 451 to 500 (of 604) for

English language course maximum of 11 months

The Immigration Rules usually allow short-term students to come to the UK for a maximum of 6 months. However, there is a special provision in the Immigration Rules that allows people to come as s...
14/12/2017 16:11:00

England: Tuition fees for further education courses in England

Update on categories for 'home' fees in England if studying on a further education course.
01/08/2013 14:13:00

England: fee status

Publicly funded educational institutions normally charge two levels of fee: a lower 'home' fee and a higher 'overseas' fee. Private sector institutions often have only one level of tuition fee, whic...
26/05/2016 13:59:00

England Student Support: 'Tigere' interim policy

BIS introduces interim Student Support policy measures for some under-26 year olds as the result of the 'Tigere' case
17/09/2015 15:13:00

England HE fees: eligibility for new group

BIS confirms those qualifying under interim Student Support measures can also be eligible for 'home' fees
28/09/2015 16:57:00

England FE: Advanced Learning Loans consultation

BIS consulting on the future of FE loans in England.
08/07/2014 15:12:00

England FE fees: new SFA funding rules 2016/17

SFA publish new funding rules for 2016/17. UKCISA looking at changes. SFA hosting online forum until 12 Feb.
01/02/2016 16:39:00

England confirms funding for EU students starting in 2018/19

EU students applying for university places in England 2018/19 will remain eligible for home fees, and for Student Support if applying to SFE.
21/04/2017 16:41:00


09/03/2017 12:22:00

Employment (Tier 2)

There are different subgroups of Tier 2: Tier 2 (General), the provisions of which are summarised here Intra-company transfers (which could apply to you if you are employed by a multi...
21/06/2017 12:50:00

Employers checking permission to work

If you have a passport sticker or biometric residence permit (BRP) that does not prohibit work, you are allowed to take employment as described in What kind of work can you do? and How many hours a we...
06/05/2016 11:45:00

Employer obligations

UK employers have a number of legal duties towards their employees. These include: anti-discrimination measures health and safety requirements the obligation to pay the minimum wage ...
25/02/2016 11:55:00

Employer is outside the UK

If your employer is outside the UK, your hours of work undertaken in the UK still count towards your limit of 10 or 20 hours a week in term time.  You should also check with HMRC whether you are ...
13/11/2015 11:14:00

Eligible courses

You can study a full-time recognised UK degree or degree-level course which leads to an approved qualification. The qualification must be at RQF level 6 or SCQF level 9 or above. You can browse the&nb...
14/12/2017 15:54:00

EEA students and comprehensive sickness insurance

EEA national students and their family members are required to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). The Home Office has issued a statement to assure those who currently don't have CSI that the...
09/03/2017 12:39:00

EEA students - get your EHIC before you travel

EEA national student? Make sure you get your European health insurance card before you travel to the UK
19/08/2014 11:47:00

EEA migrant workers

02/12/2015 16:40:00

Education UK Alumni Awards 2016

Final call for outstanding alumni from UK universities! – deadline Sunday 8 Nov
04/11/2015 10:37:00

Dual citizens

If you are a citizen of one of the countries listed above, other than the UK, and also have citizenship of another non-EEA country, you will be able to come to the UK under European law. In addit...
11/12/2015 13:06:00

Driving in the UK? Read our blog.

Our quick guide to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road.
29/01/2015 15:11:00


Before driving any vehicle (car, motorbike, van etc) in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), you should check that you meet all of the legal requirements which apply (a)...
27/04/2017 11:55:00

Domestic flights

There are more than 20 commercial airports in the UK. This can be quicker than a long train journey and sometimes more affordable, so worth having a look. Explore SkyScanner or to compa...
06/06/2016 15:54:00

Doctorate Extension Scheme

This scheme is designed to give students who have almost finished their UK PhD or other doctorate qualification an additional 12 months of Tier 4 (General) immigration permission in which to l...
02/12/2016 18:06:00

Do I need entry clearance?

If you are applying under the 11-month short-term student route you must apply for entry clearance before travelling to the UK. It does not matter if you are a visa national or a non-visa nationa...
10/08/2017 17:02:00

Do I need a visa?

If you are a EEA or Swiss national then you do not need permission to enter the UK or to study here.  See our information on staying in the UK as a EEA or Swiss national student for more informat...
05/07/2017 16:10:00

Discount travel

Some bus companies travel very cheaply to Europe, for example Megabus. Train travel tends to be more expensive although you can obtain discount as a student on a number of travel tickets. Bus? Train...
25/01/2016 10:11:00

Disabled students

UK institutions are legally required not to discriminate against disabled students, and not to treat them less favourably than other students. Institutions are also required to make adjustments to ser...
13/03/2017 16:28:00


There is no definition of ‘dependency’ in the EU directive or in the UK’s regulations which interpret the directive into national legislation. There have been several cases heard bef...
09/11/2016 13:45:00


Some Tier 4 (General) students can have family with them in the UK as their dependants. To find out who counts as a dependant, check 'Who is a dependant?' You can have dependants with you in the UK...
02/12/2016 10:42:00

Dependant applications

Home Office confirm an error in Immigration Rules regarding family members of Tier 4 (General) Students.
23/05/2013 15:46:00

Delays in producing Biometric Residence Permits

Reported delays in the production of BRPs affecting collection from the Post Office.
14/04/2016 14:42:00


The UK Government has an official list of institutions that can award recognised UK degrees.
31/08/2017 11:36:00

Definitions: for Student Support assessment

This secion has explanations about words and terms which occur in our information on Home or Overseas fees? and Student support. These explanations should not be read in isolation but, instead, combin...
31/07/2015 10:51:00

Definitions: for fee status assessment

This section has explanations about words and terms which occur in our information on Home or Overseas fees? and Student support. These explanations should not be read in isolation but, inst...
23/02/2016 15:43:00


13/12/2017 14:36:00

Definition of 'week' for Tier 4 work

'Week' for Tier 4 work purposes defined as any 7-day rolling period
19/05/2016 15:02:00


There are lots of cycle paths throughout the UK so you can ride your bike safely. Remember that not all cities are large enough to have secure cycle lanes, so you may need more experience to ride a bi...
06/06/2016 16:06:00

Currency Limits

If you bring money worth 10,000 Euros or more (including money in other currencies) and you are coming  to the UK from a country that is outside the European Union, you have to declare that sum t...
11/01/2016 12:04:00

Croatian nationals

Croatia became part of the European Union on 1 July 2013. However, the UK Government has restricted access to employment in the UK for Croatians. This is likely to be for a period of five years from a...
19/01/2016 19:58:00

Courses at further education (FE) institutions

This information explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the 'home' rate if you are studying any course at a FE institution in Northern Ireland. This includ...
23/02/2016 15:02:00

Course work

These are written assignments, which could be a report or an essay about a particular topic. You’ll be given a deadline for it to be submitted by but usually you can spend as much time as you wa...
26/04/2016 16:26:00

Council Tax

Council Tax is set by local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales to pay for local services that they provide, such as rubbish collection, the police and the fire brigade. It is based on the valu...
10/08/2017 15:30:00

Cost of living

This varies, according to where in the UK you decide to study. London and other big cities are more expensive than other areas.  The institution where you choose to study will be able to advise y...
30/11/2017 15:02:00

Contact Us

International students Our website gives information on lots of topics including visas and immigration, work during and after studies, home or overseas fee status regulations and sources of fun...
23/09/2016 10:47:00

Confusion regarding 12 Nov changes to Immigration Rules

UKCISA urgently investigating current situation regarding today's scheduled changes
12/11/2015 10:32:00

Concession for Syrian nationals extended

Concession for Syrian nationals applying for leave in the UK extended to 28 February 2017
02/03/2016 16:29:00

Concession for Syrian nationals extended

Concession for Syrian nationals extended to February 2016, following announcement today
27/02/2015 16:43:00

Comprehensive sickness insurance

In order to have a right of residence in the UK as a student you have to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). The European heath insurance card (EHIC) obtained from your country of residence...
24/03/2017 11:17:00

Complaints to the OIA and legal action

How to refer a case to the OIA and preserve the right to pursue legal action within relevant deadlines
14/03/2017 10:43:00


  • Site content
  • News