Search Results

results per page
Displaying 151 to 200 (of 604) for

Can you work?

Tier 4 (General) students who are sponsored by a higher education institution (HEI) or by an overseas HEI can work during their studies. Tier 4 sponsors are listed by type of institution in the regi...
18/04/2017 15:19:00

Tier 4 licence revoked

An institution which has its Tier 4 sponsor licence revoked by the Home Office is no longer allowed to sponsor Tier 4 students. This affects its current and prospective students. If you have Tier 4 i...
13/04/2017 16:42:00

Students needed for a study on international and EU student experience in the UK

Opportunity to take part in a survey exploring student wellbeing, cultural differences and coping in stressful situations
12/04/2017 14:19:00

Registration open for British Council free online employability course

‘How to succeed in the global workplace’ launches on 8 May
12/04/2017 10:17:00

Legacy sponsor

A small number of Tier 4 sponsors are 'legacy sponsors'.  Legacy sponsors have a zero confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) allocation and are not able to sponsor students to start a new c...
11/04/2017 12:31:00

When your visa is issued

Your visa will be issued as a vignette (sticker) in your passport. You should take a photocopy of this vignette and of the pages of your passport that contain your personal information, and carry thes...
11/04/2017 10:14:00

Amendments to our England fees and Student Support info

Changes to England's 'Long residence' category took effect from 3 March 2017. See our revised web info.
05/04/2017 17:48:00

3 August 2015 onwards

First check whether you are allowed to work - see Can you work?  If you are permitted to work, your maximum working hours in term time are: 20 hours a week if you are studying a...
05/04/2017 17:23:00


You must not be employed or self-employed as an entertainer, although there is an exception if you are studying a music or dance degree course - see Studying music or dance at degree-level. An &...
05/04/2017 17:07:00

Professional sportsperson

Under Tier 4, you cannot work as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach. You might need to decide whether your sports activities are professional or amateur. The Immigration Rules pr...
05/04/2017 17:02:00

Volunteering and unpaid employment

You might want to be a volunteer. There is a difference between unpaid employment (voluntary work) and volunteering, and you should always check with the organisation which offers you a volunteering...
05/04/2017 16:54:00

Where, when, how to apply

04/04/2017 11:05:00

Avoid overstaying

Overstaying means allowing your visa, or BRP, to expire whilst you remain in the UK. Overstaying is a criminal offence. There is no 'grace period' within which you can lawfully overstay. If you submi...
03/04/2017 16:53:00

Sponsor duties

All Tier 4 sponsors have specific duties they must undertake. These duties are outlined in document 2 of the Home Office's guidance for Tier 4 sponsors. Your Tier 4 sponsor must provide information ...
03/04/2017 16:19:00

Family members of British citizens

If you are a British citizen and have lived in another EEA country, you will be able to derive a right under EU law if you have had a genuine period of residence in another EEA country for longer than...
30/03/2017 16:34:00

Family members of EEA nationals

If your family members are also EEA or Swiss nationals, they can come to the UK in the same way as you. If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals, and you are coming to, or you are in, th...
30/03/2017 16:12:00

Basic residence rights

EEA and Swiss nationals have an initial, unrestricted right to reside in another member state for up to three months (in this case the UK). Thereafter, you must be here as a student, employe...
30/03/2017 15:26:00

Time limits

There are time limits ('caps') on how long you can study with a Tier 4 visa. Before they issue your CAS, a Tier 4 sponsor will check that your proposed studies will not take you over the cap. When ass...
30/03/2017 15:21:00

Updated information - EU Referendum: what we know for EU students

We have updated our information - EU Referendum: what we know for EU students, following the UK giving notice of its intention to leave the European Union.
30/03/2017 09:41:00

Are you international students’ union of the year?

The NUS International Students’ Awards 2017 are open for nominations
29/03/2017 09:59:00

Comprehensive sickness insurance

In order to have a right of residence in the UK as a student you have to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). The European heath insurance card (EHIC) obtained from your country of residence...
24/03/2017 11:17:00

Resettled Syrians & access to HE: positive ministerial statement

From 1 July 2017, Syrians admitted to UK under VPRS will be granted refugee status (not humanitarian protection). So no 3-year residence test for Student Support eligibility.
24/03/2017 10:11:00

Times Higher Education reveals the top UK universities for student experience – according to students

The results are based on the responses of more than 15,000 undergraduates rating their university.
23/03/2017 09:06:00


You will have the right to apply for administrative review of the refusal. The Home Office will review its decision to see if it made a case working error. You will also have the right to apply for ad...
22/03/2017 16:38:00

Am I insured for fees?

Unfortunately, students sometimes have to leave their courses early, or repeat part/all of their courses, due to accidents or illnesses during their studies. You may wish to look at opt...
21/03/2017 13:45:00

'Week' defined for work

Allowed to work? Make sure your hours fit a Monday-Sunday week from 6 April
21/03/2017 10:24:00


UK law requires all motorists to have valid insurance that provides them, or anyone they permit to use the vehicle, with insurance cover for the vehicle that they are driving. It is an offence to driv...
21/03/2017 09:55:00

Complaints to the OIA and legal action

How to refer a case to the OIA and preserve the right to pursue legal action within relevant deadlines
14/03/2017 10:43:00

What to bring

In most housing, you will need to clean your own room and do your own laundry. Some institution housing may provide a cleaner for the communal areas. Housing is normally fully furnished, but ...
13/03/2017 16:32:00

Disabled students

UK institutions are legally required not to discriminate against disabled students, and not to treat them less favourably than other students. Institutions are also required to make adjustments to ser...
13/03/2017 16:28:00

Students with a family

Check early if your institution provides: housing suitable for families short-stay housing for families or for international students individually house-hunting support for students w...
13/03/2017 16:24:00

Accreditation schemes

It is important to check whether a property, landlord or institution is part of a reputable accreditation scheme. In joining an accreditation scheme a landlord commits themselves to offering housing a...
13/03/2017 16:21:00

Booking private housing

It is generally not a good idea to enter into a contract for longer-term housing (other than halls of residence) before you arrive in the UK. There are, however, some exceptions. For example some hous...
13/03/2017 16:19:00

Housing provided by your institution

Halls of residence and other options Housing arranged by your college or university is normally in large halls of residence, although some institutions also own or manage some smaller blocks...
13/03/2017 15:36:00

EEA students and comprehensive sickness insurance

EEA national students and their family members are required to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). The Home Office has issued a statement to assure those who currently don't have CSI that the...
09/03/2017 12:39:00

Northern Ireland

09/03/2017 12:33:00


09/03/2017 12:31:00


09/03/2017 12:29:00


09/03/2017 12:22:00

Staying in the UK as a student

You are entitled to enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months without needing to demonstrate that you are exercising a right of free movement (or right to res...
09/03/2017 11:22:00

Latest assessment of economic value of international students

New Universities UK research explores economic impact of international students in the UK
07/03/2017 11:43:00

Your place of study

In order for the educational institution to be acceptable, the institution must be publicly funded or otherwise accredited. Where an institution is not included on the current Tier 4 register of spo...
06/03/2017 15:18:00

Survey: How would an independent Scotland be perceived as a study destination by Non-EU International Students?

Please would you circulate this survey to any non-EU international students on your campus?
02/03/2017 10:40:00

Problems for Chinese students submitting applications to ATAS

Contact ATAS if you applied from a Chinese server and are waiting for a reply
24/02/2017 16:51:00

‘No recourse to public funds’

If you have the sentence ‘No recourse to public funds’ included in your passport stamp, or printed on your Biometric Residence Permit, you will not be in breach of your immigration conditi...
23/02/2017 15:24:00

Becoming ‘home’ after the course has started

In some circumstances, it is possible to become a 'home' fee payer after the start of your course. Below, is a summary of changes that can trigger eligibility for ‘home’ fees. In all cases...
23/02/2017 15:19:00

Appealing a fee status decision

If you think a mistake has been made with your fee status decision, do not sign any document/contract agreeing to pay the 'overseas' rate of fee. Contact the institution immediately and ask it to exp...
23/02/2017 15:18:00

How much are ‘overseas’ fees?

'Overseas' fees can range from £3,500 to about £18,000 per year depending on the institution, the level of your course, and the type of course. The fee will probably increase each year by ...
23/02/2017 15:17:00


  • Site content
  • News