Search Results

results per page
Displaying 151 to 200 (of 604) for

Travel and Shipping

Travel To get the cheapest tickets, you have to book early, at least several weeks in advance. You can often find very cheap tickets on the internet, on the websites of either travel companies or the...
05/11/2015 19:59:00

Who needs to know?

You will need to tell various people and offices that you intend to leave the UK.  It may be useful to give some people your forwarding address.    At your institution, not...
05/11/2015 20:02:00

Shakespeare Lives!

Become part of the British Council’s Shakespeare Lives programme - share your expertise at their talks around the globe.
10/11/2015 12:06:00

Confusion regarding 12 Nov changes to Immigration Rules

UKCISA urgently investigating current situation regarding today's scheduled changes
12/11/2015 10:32:00

Update: 12 Nov changes to Immigration Rules

Update on 12 November changes to the Immigration Rules
12/11/2015 11:52:00

Employer is outside the UK

If your employer is outside the UK, your hours of work undertaken in the UK still count towards your limit of 10 or 20 hours a week in term time.  You should also check with HMRC whether you are ...
13/11/2015 11:14:00

Apply for a NI number

Your National Insurance number (NINo) is a unique personal number which is used to record your National Insurance contributions. You do not need to have a NINo before starting work, but you must obtai...
13/11/2015 11:37:00

Tier 5 Temporary Worker

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) replaced a number of provisions with five sub-categories:   creative and sporting charity workers (voluntary work) religious workers governme...
13/11/2015 15:59:00

New Tier 4 policy guidance

New Tier 4 policy guidance published by the Home Office
17/11/2015 12:09:00

Academic culture

It may take some time for you to adjust to studying in the UK. Academic culture and expectations vary according to the subject, the level of study and the type of institution. However, there are some ...
18/11/2015 15:06:00


Many train services offer either ‘Standard’, or ‘First’ Class' tickets (and therefore seating). First Class is much more expensive than ‘Standard Class’, ...
18/11/2015 15:39:00


Long-distance bus services (coaches) are inexpensive and popular with students. Local bus services generally cover shorter distances than coach services and are cheaper. In London, bus services...
18/11/2015 15:41:00

London Underground (the ‘Tube’)

Many people use the Tube to get around London. There is a Tube station at Heathrow airport, but not at any other airports near London. The helpful  Transport for London website features...
18/11/2015 15:41:00


You can sign up for a mobile phone service in the UK, and you can usually use an exisiting handset. When you first arrive, you can use your exisiting mobile phone service from home to m...
18/11/2015 15:43:00

Motoring organisations

There are a number of motoring organisations in the UK that offer a range of services to the motorist, including breakdown assistance and recovery, insurance and route planning. They tend to charge a ...
19/11/2015 11:29:00

Refunds and Deposits

Housing deposit If you have paid a deposit for your accommodation, see our information about accommodation deposits and speak to your landlord about how to arrange for return of the deposi...
19/11/2015 11:38:00

Career plans

Keeping in touch with referees To help you in your professional life back in your home country, it can be very helpful to have references from the UK. At least a month before you leave, contact a f...
19/11/2015 11:40:00

Further Education for 16-18s

In England, the Education Funding Agency (EFA) and Skills Funding Agency (SFA) fund FE courses. They publish fee assessment guidance on who they will allow to be charged a 'home' fee: EFA fun...
27/11/2015 12:10:00

Applying in Scotland: Basics

02/12/2015 16:11:00

Applying in Northern Ireland: Who is entitled?

If you meet all the requirements of one or more of the following categories, you will be entitled to some level, and amount, of Student Support. This is only a brief summary of persons who are en...
02/12/2015 16:26:00

EEA migrant workers

02/12/2015 16:40:00

Public Funds

What are ‘Public funds’? Public funds’ refers to a specific list in the Immigration Rules of benefits and other payments as listed below. If you have the immigration conditi...
03/12/2015 12:47:00

Further advice

If you need more information or advice on your entitlement to benefits, the Students’ Union Student Advice Service or your institution may help. You can also get free advice from any Citizens Ad...
03/12/2015 13:07:00

Transferring a visa to a new passport

You may need to transfer your visa to a new passport, for example if your passport is lost or stolen, or if it has been retained by the authorities in your home country. If your passport is lost or s...
03/12/2015 16:05:00

Student Support consultation-England ['Tigere']

BIS are consulting on changes to the English Student Support regulations arising from the 'Tigere' judgment in the Supreme Court.
07/12/2015 12:08:00

Visa error

This page is only about correcting an error on a vignette (sticker) issued to a person granted entry clearance outside the UK.  For guidance on correcting an error on a biometric residence p...
10/12/2015 14:59:00

Lost passport or BRP while outside UK

Before you travel, make a paper copy and photograph of your passport, your student visa and/or your student Biometric Residence Permit  (BRP) and keep them separate to your travel documents. ...
11/12/2015 12:54:00

Dual citizens

If you are a citizen of one of the countries listed above, other than the UK, and also have citizenship of another non-EEA country, you will be able to come to the UK under European law. In addit...
11/12/2015 13:06:00

Members' access to website

Problems for some members accessing the password-protected areas of our site.
15/12/2015 12:19:00

Advice Line closures over Christmas & New Year

UKCISA's Advice Lines closed on18 December and from 24 December to 4 January.
16/12/2015 09:00:00

Home Affairs Committee report on skill shortages

Committee report recommends reducing barriers to high skilled employment for international student graduates
22/12/2015 14:46:00

UKCISA training programme January & February 2016

Places are still available on various training courses this month and in February.
06/01/2016 11:30:00

Biometric Residence Permit

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a document issued by the Home Office to students (and their partners and children) as evidence of their immigration permission (also known as ...
06/01/2016 16:17:00

Entrepreneurs, ‘high value migrants’

Tier 1 of the Points Based System offers several routes for working in the UK as what the Home Office terms a "high-value migrant". It is for entrepreneurs, including recent graduates f...
11/01/2016 11:37:00

Bringing cash

We strongly advise against bringing large amounts of cash and recommend that you bring most of your money in Travellers' Cheques or use a Travellers' Cheque card. Keep your Travellers' Cheques in a di...
11/01/2016 12:00:00

Currency Limits

If you bring money worth 10,000 Euros or more (including money in other currencies) and you are coming  to the UK from a country that is outside the European Union, you have to declare that sum t...
11/01/2016 12:04:00

BIS 'Tigere' consultation - UKCISA's response

UKCISA has responded to BIS's consultation on new Student Support regulations for those who have a long residential connection with the UK (the 'Tigere' case).
14/01/2016 14:26:00

Test page layer2

Etiam in quam quis mi sodales hendrerit non iaculis leo. Mauris id lacus non ligula placerat scelerisque gravida in ex. In tincidunt pulvinar est, quis fermentum orci finibus a. Cras efficitur euismod...
19/01/2016 09:09:00

Applying in Wales: Who is entitled?

If you meet all the requirements of one or more of the following categories, you will be entitled to some level, and amount, of Student Support. This is only a brief summary of persons who a...
19/01/2016 14:46:00

Applying in Wales: Basics

19/01/2016 14:47:00

Study and assessment methods

19/01/2016 17:58:00

Croatian nationals

Croatia became part of the European Union on 1 July 2013. However, the UK Government has restricted access to employment in the UK for Croatians. This is likely to be for a period of five years from a...
19/01/2016 19:58:00

Work rights

19/01/2016 20:07:00

UKCISA concerned at impact on international students (and academic institutions) of MAC report

Our commentary on the Migration Advisory Committee's latest Report.
20/01/2016 13:59:00

Prepare for success

You can find useful information about study in the UK on our webpages.  Find out the difference between a lecture, a seminar and a tutorial, different methods of assessment and tips on study...
21/01/2016 12:03:00

International Student Calculator

The international student calculator is a website with information and advice about UK living costs and managing your money. Find out about Budgeting Banking Accommodation Emplo...
21/01/2016 12:18:00

Our aims

To increase support for international education and raise awareness of its values and benefits. To promote greater student mobility and reduce obstacles and barriers to it. To encourag...
21/01/2016 16:21:00

New Tier 4 application form for use in the UK

New application form from 28 January 2016
21/01/2016 16:42:00

Plan your journey

Check the information from your college or university for details about how to get there, including any transport arranged by your institution. Carry this information in your hand luggage. ...
22/01/2016 16:58:00

Where and when to travel

Where? If you have come to the UK from outside Europe, you have a fantastic opportunity to travel around during breaks from your studies. There are many online guides to help you choose where to go a...
25/01/2016 09:45:00


  • Site content
  • News