We were very pleased to attend the inaugural election of officers at the new All-Party Parliamentary Group for International Students this week. Chaired by our President Lord Bilimoria and Paul Blomfield MP, the APPG aims to:
• promote the value of international students to the UK economy and employment
• encourage overseas governments to send students to the UK
• publicise the value of international students to the UK's "soft power"
• highlight changes that might harm the international education sector
• develop policies to enhance overseas students' experience in the UK and extend the UK's share of the market
Topics covered at the meeting included how the current UK immigration strategy is costing the country its share in the valuable international student market, and the group discussed ‘disentangling’ students from the immigration debate. You can read more about this via BBC News coverage.
If you’d like to keep up to date with developments and news like this please sign up to our e-news by clicking the button on our newswall or follow us on Twitter at @UKCISA.