UKCISA recently announced that Lord Karan Bilimoria had taken over as President of the organisation and as Chief Executive Dominic Scott said no-one could be more ideally suited or better qualified as Lord Bilimoria
- had been an international student himself - at what is now London Metropolitan University and then at the University of Cambridge
- was a leading entrepreneur and was now Chairman of Cobra Beer which he established
- was Chancellor of the University of Birmingham and a former Chancellor of what was Thames Valley University
- was Chairman of the UK-India Business Partnership
- was on the advisory Boards of various leading business schools
- was, when appointed, one of the youngest members of the House of Lords
- speaks regularly on international student issues and has been one of the most prominent advocates for post-study work schemes.
Lord Bilimoria commented
I am very pleased with all the work that UKCISA does to best represent the voice and mass of the international student body, particularly as I myself was an international student. This appointment enables me to fully support the UKCISA manifesto and make a full commitment to speaking on behalf of Britain’s talented international student community in Westminster, in Whitehall, to the UK business community and around the world. In my new role I hope to represent our bright young people from overseas and to urge the government to reconsider its strategy towards those who have travelled from all over the world to learn in our world-class institutions.