Under Tier 4, you cannot work as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach.
The definition of who is a 'professional sportsperson' was amended on 30 March 2019, but affects you even if you applied for or were granted your Tier 4 immigration permission before that date. The definition in the Tier 4 policy guidance is not up to date because the guidance has not been amended since January 2019.
It means that if you fall into one or more of the groups below, you are restricted to playing or coaching as an “Amateur” in a charity event. "Amateur" means a person who engages in sport solely for personal enjoyment and who is not seeking to derive a living from it, which includes payments made in kind.
1. You are currently providing services as a sportsperson, or playing or coaching in any capacity, at a professional or semi-professional level of sport
2. You are currently receiving, or in the previous four years have received, payment (including payment in kind) for playing or coaching. The payment also covers, or covered, all or most of your costs for travelling to, and living in, the UK
3. You are currently, or in the previous four years have been, registered to a professional or semi-professional sports team
4. You have represented your nation, national team, state or regional team within the previous two years
6. You have an established international reputation in your chosen field of sport
7. You engage an agent or representative, with the aim of finding opportunities as a sportsperson, and/or developing a current or future career as a sportsperson, or you have engaged such an agent in the last 12 months
If you do not fall into one of the groups above, you may undertake paid or unpaid sporting activities, including work placements which are an assessed part of your course.
If you are not sure whether you are permitted to undertake sporting activities, check with the sporting organisation concerned and/or your education provider. British Universities & Colleges Sport and a number of other organisations have raised concerns with the Home Office about this very restrictive definition, its retrospective application, and its impact on the courses and activities you may undertake.
There are alternative immigration categories which permit you to work as a sportsperson and to study. For example, under Tier 2 or Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) or UK Ancestry.