Scholarships and funding your studies

Last modified: 18 December 2019

Unfortunately UKCISA is not a funding organisation and we do not give grants or scholarships. 

This page provides you with introductory information on funding your studies. We have also provided you with some useful links. However, the information presented here is not definitive, and you can also talk to your chosen university or college about ways of funding your studies.


Last modified: 18 December 2019

Scholarships are normally limited in number and have specific target groups. They are also normally highly competitive and most, though not all, are aimed at postgraduate level students. For undergraduate studies, scholarships (which include bursaries and partial fee waivers) are rarer. However, a number are offered by UK universities or colleges. In most cases you will have to gain an offer of a place on a course at a UK institution before you are eligible to apply for any scholarship. Additionally, you will be expected to have investigated whether you are, firstly, eligible for Government Student Support.

General information and academic scholarships

Scholarships for vulnerable groups, including asylum seekers and refugees

Government Student Support

Last modified: 16 August 2016
Student Support consists of loans/grants for study and living costs. It is available only to students who meet a number of criteria; which are decided by the relevant government department in the UK country where you usually live. There are a number of categories of eligible student, and the regulations can be quite complicated. We provide summaries of these regulations in our Student support section.

Claiming welfare benefits or working

Last modified: 16 August 2016

This information is for you if you entered the UK under the Tier 4, or Student, Immigration Rules.

Can I claim welfare benefits?

Can I fund my studies with my work income?

Can I take a gap year and work full time?