Our services

Last modified: 08 May 2017

UKCISA provides support to students and to members.  This area of the website is for students.  Members, external organisations and Press can find more information on the Institutions site (the green institutions tab on the top navigation menu.)

For students

UKCISA can help you prepare for life in the UK and support you when you are here.  Our expertise is in the immigration rules but our website has information on all aspects of living and studying in the UK. 

The website is the best place to start to get the information you need.  We train and update staff in institutions across the UK who can then advise you so it's a good idea to find the services and staff in your institution to get help directly.

If your institution is not a member of UKCISA or you can't find the help you need, you can call our advice line for detailed, individual advice.

UKCISA website

Last modified: 16 January 2017

Our website is divided into two sections. This section is for students.  Members, external organisations and Press can find lots more information on the Institutions website.

The students area has lots of information and we constantly update it.  Look in the 'Information and Advice' tab to find the full list of information under the headings:

  • Visas and Immigration
  • Fees and Money
  • Working
  • Preparation and Arrival
  • Living in the UK
  • EEA and Swiss students

The newswall brings together student news, members' news, blogs and tweets.  Check this regularly for important updates, changes to the rules and useful tips and advice.  You can also sign up for our regular e-newsletter.  Follow us on Twitter @UKCISA

See also website terms of use  and website accessibility.

Student advice

Last modified: 08 May 2017

We hope the information on our student webpages will answer most of your questions. But if you cannot find the information you need you may want to speak to someone for further advice:

If you are currently a student in the UK contact an International Student Adviser in your college, university or students' union.  You can find them in departments such as the International Office, Student Services or an Advice Centre.

If you are not yet in the UK, you could contact your local British Council office or the International Office at the college or university where you plan to study. 

Alternatively, you can telephone our advice line.

Call the advice line

Textphone users

Online forums

Frequently Asked Questions

Last modified: 22 April 2016
Please see some of our frequently asked questions below. If you can’t find the answer to your question here or elsewhere on the website, please call our advice line for students or for members.

I need help with my immigration application or appeal

Please note that we cannot undertake immigration casework. If you need help with your immigration application or appeal, we recommend that you make an appointment to see the International Student Adviser at your place of study. If your institution does not have a specialist International Student Adviser, you may be able to obtain assistance from the Student Services department, Students’ Union or other Advisory Service.

What can I study in the UK?

For general information about courses and qualifications in the UK, visit the website of EducationUK. You can also search for your nearest British Council office.

What qualifications can I gain by studying in the UK?

For general information about courses and qualifications in the UK, visit the website of EducationUK. You can also search for your nearest British Council office.

Where can I study as a Tier 4 student?

If you wish to come to the UK as a Tier 4 student, please ensure that the institution where you wish to study appears on the UKVI Register of Sponsors.

Can I get a scholarship or financial support to study in the UK?

UKCISA is not a funding agency and does not award study grants or scholarships. Information about scholarships to study in the UK may be obtained from your nearest British Council office. Your local Ministry of Education, and inter-governmental agencies such as UNESCO, may also be able to advise you about scholarship schemes or government-to-government arrangements.

How do my qualifications from my home country translate to UK?

If you require information on academic recognition of your qualifications in the UK, please contact UK NARIC.

How do I apply to a UK university for an undergraduate degree course?

If you wish to apply to a UK university for an Undergraduate degree course, you should do so through UCAS.

How do I apply to a UK university for a postgraduate course?

If you wish to apply to a UK university for a postgraduate course, you can apply directly to the university.

How can I come to the UK to work?

For information on the various work schemes and programmes, see the British Home Office’s UKVI website.

Prepare for success

Last modified: 21 January 2016

You can find useful information about study in the UK on our webpages.  Find out the difference between a lecture, a seminar and a tutorial, different methods of assessment and tips on studying.

You can also prepare for study in the UK using Prepare for Success. This is an interactive web learning tool for international students who are getting ready to come to the UK for study in further or higher education - and it's free for you to use.

It contains learning resources which are activity-based to help you find out about different aspects of academic life in the UK and the skills needed for effective study. As well as preparing you for what to expect during your studies, the activities provide scope for English language improvement*.

You can use the demonstration video if you would like more information on how to use the activities, and an interactive FAQs page where you can find simple answers to questions about study in the UK. There is also a special page of interactive questions and answers for international students planning to study in Further Education colleges in the UK.

You can also read the blog which responds to students questions and concerns about moving to study in the UK.

* Prepare for Success is intended primarily for international students whose first language is not English. It is aimed at students with an IELTS level between 5.5 and 7.5 or equivalent.