For students currently in the UK or coming in 2019-20

The following information is for students coming in the academic year 2019 to 2020 (usually September/October 2019 to June/July 2020). The information is based on the policies of the current government, and is subject to change. The UK will have a general election on 12 December 2019. Following the election, the elected government will decide the next stages of the UK's relationship with the European Union. 

Government Student Support and 'home' fee status eligibility

The funding bodies across the UK have all given assurances to EU nationals about continuing eligibility. See our information on:


The UK government has said that:

  • EU citizens 
  • non-EU EEA (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) citizens
  • Swiss citizens

can continue to enter the UK after Brexit (in a deal or no-deal scenario) using a valid passport or national identity card (although non-EU EEA citizens will not be able to use a national identity card in a 'no-deal' scenario).

You will be able to use ePassport gates where these are available at the airport and where:

  • your passport has a ‘chip’; and
  • you are 12 years old or over

Eligible family members of EU/ EEA/Swiss citizens who are not themselves EU/EEA/Swiss citizens will need to obtain a family permit before entering the UK.

If the Withdrawal Agreement is agreed, EU, non-EU EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members already in the UK before the UK leaves the EU and those who come to the UK during the transitional/ implementation period can apply for immigration permission in the UK under a scheme designed by the UK government known as the EU Settlement Scheme. They will need to do this if they wish to remain in the UK after the end of the transitional / implementation period, or otherwise apply under another category of the immigration Rules. 

If an agreement between the UK and the EU is not reached, the settlement scheme will operate in much more restricted capacity, and there will be separate provisions for those coming to the UK the day after the UK leaves the EU

This is all subject to change.

NOTE The scheme will also be available to those who were resident in the UK before the UK leaves the EU and who meet the eligibility criteria, but who are temporarily absent from the UK when the UK leaves the EU for a period and/or reason described under the definition of ‘continuous qualifying period’ in Annex 1- Definitions.