Today, 23 May 2023, marks the relaunch of the #WeAreInternational campaign.
The campaign aims to celebrate and communicate the economic, cultural, social and civic contribution international students make to the UK through highlighting the amazing stories which show how welcoming the UK is to prospective and current international students.
International students in the UK make a really positive impact on domestic students’ cultural experience of university life, contribute to life-changing research and fill skills gaps, whilst also contributing to local communities, for example through volunteering. International students, of course, also provide significant economic benefits, contributing a total of £41.9 billion of total gross benefit to the economy each year. This campaign aims to illustrate this through sharing the real-life stories of students who have come to the UK to study.
In support of this campaign, The Right Hon. the Lord Johnson of Marylebone, and former Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation said:
“The £41.9 billion in gross economic benefit that international students generate for the UK is just one part of the immense value that international education brings to the nation. International student flows are critical to the UK’s competitiveness as a knowledge economy and boost our soft power across the globe.
By bringing together the voice of international students across the UK, the #WeAreInternational campaign helps to quash false narratives and show how our overseas students are a great benefit to our university campuses and our country.”
The Rt Hon Chris Skidmore MP, Former Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, and Chairman of the International Higher Education Commission said:
“International students contribute immensely to the UK economically, socially, academically and culturally. This is why we have international student commissioners on the International Higher Education Commission, who help bring that student voice to the forefront.
This campaign will be a welcome contribution and complement to our work with the Commission, and will help show the positive experiences of international students themselves and the communities they enhance. This will be crucial to changing perceptions among policymakers and beyond.”
Gareth Bacon MP, Conservative MP for Orpington, and Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for London as a Global City said:
“London is one of only two Alpha++ ranked cities in the world for higher education. It is a fantastic place to study, start a career and experience vibrant life opportunities.
I’m proud of how welcoming our capital is for the next generation of leaders and global talent.
70,000 international students enrol every year, promoting cultural exchange, creating tens of thousands of jobs and generating billions in GDP for London.
The prospects for students are unrivalled, with our unique institutions synergising academic ideas with a business community to marketise them.
Be part of the future today – study in London.”
You can see campaign content on our social media channels under the #WeAreInternational hashtag.
- This campaign is a joint sector effort by Universities UK International (UUKi), UKCISA, BUILA, London Higher, and the Study UK campaign at the British Council.
- Universities UK International (UUKi) represents UK higher education institutions (HEIs) globally. To do this we actively promote UK HEIs abroad, provide trusted information for and about them and create new opportunities through our ability to act at sector level. We draw on UK university expertise to influence policy in the UK and overseas, delivering information, advice and guidance to facilitate mutually beneficial collaboration between UK HEIs and a broad range of international partners
- The British Universities' International Liaison Association (BUILA) is a UK-wide, membership-led organisation supporting the work and professional interests of staff working in international recruitment and liaison at UK higher educational institutions. Our Association currently has a membership of 144 UK higher education institutions and there are over 2,000 international recruitment professionals working at those institutions who utilise the BUILA discussion forums. For more information, contact email@example.com
- The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) supports international students and the institutions, students' unions and organisations who work with them. We provide membership services including advice, training and policy guidance to over 400 members and direct support services to thousands of international students each year. Our membership includes every university in the UK, many further education colleges, independent schools and students' unions.
- London Higher is the representative body for almost 50 universities and higher education colleges across the capital. We are committed to raising the voice of London’s higher education and research sector and ensuring our members are making the London higher education experience the best it can be for students and staff from around the world. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Study UK is a global campaign that promotes the UK as the first-choice study destination to international students and their influencers. It is the UK’s only national-level campaign that showcases the UK’s outstanding higher education offering and the life-changing opportunities it brings, from a world-class education, to an amazing student experience and a way to join the ranks of the most employable in the world. The Study UK campaign showcases the UK's diversity, spotlighting the four nations and their unique characters to show that the UK offers endless opportunities for everyone. For more information, contact email@example.com
- If you have any questions about the campaign, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com