how Government can create the conditions for success
A UKCISA policy position paper.
In this paper, UKCISA is calling on the UK government to work with the education sector to deliver a world-class international student experience. The paper outlines 15 key steps the UK Government and international education sector should take to make the UK the world’s most attractive destination for international students.
UKCISA is asking the UK Government to:
- Extend and expand flexibility in the visa and immigration system in light of Covid-19 e.g. prioritising international students’ visa applications as VACs reopen
- Review the implementation of new immigration rules for EU/EEA/Swiss students – and extend the transition period until January 2022
- Delay the implementation of the planned increase to the NHS Immigration Health Surcharge for international students (currently scheduled for 1 October) to minimise disruption for students
- Communicate a clear message of welcome to all international students in the UK at every level of study
- Contribute to an excellent student experience and create a lifelong connection to the UK
UKCISA is proposing to:
- Build a stronger evidence base of current international students’ experiences, to drive future policy development and support the above asks
- Work with international students and those who support them to develop an International Student Charter
By putting the international student experience at the heart of policy making, we can ensure international students feel welcomed – from when they start their visa application process, to arriving in the UK – enjoy an excellent academic experience, and create a lifelong connection with the UK.
You can get involved and amplify the asks in the paper, by supporting, sharing and joining the conversation on social media. You could highlight which particular actions/asks you support as an individual or organisation, and why.
The hashtag to use on social media is #UKCISARoadmap – please tag us in all your posts.