We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our site you agree to our use of cookies

Find out more about cookies >
Find out how to manage cookies >

Home International Students Fees & finance Home or Overseas fees? England: Further Education 16-18

Fee status in England: Further Education 16-18 years

In England, the Education Funding Agency (EFA) and Skills Funding Agency (SFA) fund FE courses. They publish fee assessment guidance on who they will allow to be charged a 'home' fee:

  • EFA funds eligible students who are aged 16-18 years (excluding those who are on Apprenticeship courses) on 31 August in the funding year in which they start their course; and
  • SFA funds students who are aged 19 years or over (and those who are on Apprenticeship courses, aged 16-18 years) on 31 August in the funding year in which they start their course; and
  • a 'funding year' runs from 1 August in one year to 31 July in the calendar year which immediately follows. If you are 18 years old on 1 August prior to when you start the course (eg your lectures begin on 1 October) but you become 19 years old before 31 August then you will be funded by SFA not EFA.

If you are aged 16-18 years and studying a FE course (which is not an Apprenticeship course) at a FE college in England, then under the EFA rules you are eligible as a home student if you come within one, or more, of the categories outlined below.


1: EEA citizens (including British Citizens)

You are a citizen of a country that is in the EEA.

Note: This includes UK nationals. There is no requirement that you have been residing in the UK or EEA prior to the start of your course.

2: People with Right of Abode in the UK

You have Right of Abode in the UK, eg:

  • you possess a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode; or
  • you are a British Citizen.

3: People with no restrictions on working in the UK (eg people with Indefinite Leave)

You have no restrictions on working in the UK; this means you must be someone who has no condition in your UK immigration permission which restricts or prohibits the number of hours you may work. For example, if you have Indefinite Leave in the UK you will have no restriction on working.

4: People accompanying/joining specified family members in the UK

You are in the UK with a parent or spouse / civil partner, or you are joining such a person in the UK, and that person has:

  • the Right of Abode in the UK; or
  • any other kind of immigration permission (limited/indefinite leave to enter or leave to remain) in the UK; or
  • EEA nationality.

5: Children of diplomats

You are in the UK as the child of someone who is working as a diplomat.

6: Asylum seekers or those under the care of a local authority

There is eligibility for you if you are:

  • an asylum seeker; or
  • in receipt of ‘section 4’ financial support; or
  • in the care of a local authority’s social services department.

7: People with Refugee status, and specified family members

You have, or your parent or your spouse / civil partner has, Refugee status in the UK.

8: People with Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary/Exceptional Leave in the UK, and specified family members

You have, or your parent or your spouse / civil partner has, Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave or Exceptional Leave in the UK. It is not a requirement that you, or your family member (as above), acquired this leave as a result of a failed asylum application.

9: Recently settled

You have been granted settled status in the UK some time in the three years immediately before your course starts, eg you were granted Indefinite Leave to Remain or British Citizenship during that period.

10: Children of Turkish Workers

You are the child of a Turkish worker and you have been resident in the EEA and/or Turkey for the three years immediately before your course starts.

11: Apprenticeship students

If you are aged 16-18 years and doing an Apprenticeship course, the EFA will not fund you but the SFA will. See the provision under the SFA 19+ rules.

12: Exceptional circumstances

Talk to your institution if you do not meet any of the above categories but think your case is 'exceptional'. The EFA will consider students in exceptional circumstances.

35 People found this page helpful. Did you?