Changing your name on an immigration document

20 February 2015

The Home Office has published guidance on what you need to show if you want to change your name on your immigration documents or on a British passport.

You must be able to provide evidence of your new name that links you to your previous name. Subject to some exceptions, your passport and/or national identity card must be in your new name so that you can show that you intend to use your new identity for all purposes of your life.

The stated reason for this policy is to prevent people from changing identity in order to commit crimes, evade detection and to deter "frequent and frivolous changes of name where it is not clear that the person intends to use the name for all purposes".