UKCISA is joining a new sector taskforce – led by Universities UK International
and London Higher
– which will bring together sector bodies to ensure international students are getting the support they need during the pandemic.
The taskforce will draw upon best practice from across the sector, as well as listening to the voices of students themselves to ensure support is flexible and responsive. The proposed framework of support will include:
- Equal eligibility for home and international students for hardship funds
- Emergency support in place daily to ensure no student in hardship goes hungry
- Provision for twice-weekly, on-campus or local asymptomatic testing for every student who accesses campus
- Flexible and co-ordinated student fee payment plans
- Proactive engagement with all students to ensure they know what support is available and how to access it
International students are facing a unique set of challenges, with many students far away from home and unable to work or access government support. Any students who are worried about their visa status can call the UKCISA helpline
to access confidential advice and guidance from our specialist team of advisors.