Home Office guidance for EEA and Swiss nationals if 'no deal'

31 January 2019

The Home Office has published guidance for:

  • EEA citizens (European Union citizens as well as citizens from Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein);
  • Swiss citizens

who enter the UK after the UK has left the EU (from 30 March 2019) if the Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and the EU has not been agreed. This guidance does not impact those who are eligible under the EU settlement scheme and who might be temporarily absent from the UK (you can find more information on permitted absences in this guidance, which is likely to be updated) on the day the UK leaves the EU.

The guidance affects those who enter the UK from 30 March 2019 up until 31 December 2020 (just before a new immigration system expected from 1 January 2021). 

If this applies to you, you will be permitted to enter the UK, as currently, for up to three months (at no cost). Study and work will be permitted during this period.

If you wish to stay in the UK beyond this three month period you will be required to make an online application for 'European Temporary Leave to Remain'. If this application is successful, you will get immigration permission ('limited leave') for a period of three years. This leave cannot be extended, will not lead to indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or lead to status under the EU settlement scheme.

If you wish to stay in the UK after this three-year period you will be required to make an application under the immigration system in place at that time. 

Non- EEA family members will require a family permit to enter the UK.