Search Results

results per page
Displaying 301 to 350 (of 590) for

How the UK medical system works

05/11/2015 15:01:00

Bringing money to the UK

You need to be careful about how you bring money to the UK and the amount that you carry. 
09/10/2015 15:29:00

Travel insurance

We recommend that you take out travel insurance before you leave home to cover you for your journey and the first week of your stay in the UK.
07/10/2015 16:46:00

Living with non-students

If you live with adults who are not students, and who are not related to you, there will be a bill for the dwelling. You cannot be held jointly liable to pay the bill, for example if you are a joint ...
02/10/2015 11:42:00

Case studies

Yang - Tier 2 Yang had a good experience, applying for Tier 2 leave in order to take up a postdoctoral research position at the University of Birmingham. He also has helpful information about ...
30/09/2015 11:06:00

NHS Debt and Immigration

Since October 2011, the immigration rules have included provisions to refuse immigration applications by some people, if they have an outstanding unpaid invoice for NHS treatment. See our information...
24/09/2015 14:40:00

Other types of immigration permission

If you are in the UK with some other immigration status, check what your passport sticker or any other documents issued by the Home Office say about employment. You can usually work without restrictio...
18/09/2015 10:42:00

What is term time?

For most students, regardless of when you applied for your leave, term time and holiday or vacation dates are defined by your institution's calendar. These dates are usually based around the academi...
17/09/2015 17:06:00

6 April 2012 - 2 August 2015

During term time you can work for a maximum of 20 hours a week if you are studying at degree level or above at a higher education institution 20 hours a week if you are on a study abroad p...
17/09/2015 17:04:00

Addresses and contacts

04/09/2015 14:57:00

Specific health issues

04/09/2015 14:54:00


If you are traveling to the UK from a country outside the European Union and are carrying more than 10,000 Euros with you in cash, cheques or a bankers draft you will need to declare this to...
04/09/2015 14:38:00


‘Public hire’ taxis or ‘cabs’ are taxis that are licensed to pick up passengers without advancer booking. In London, as in many UK cities, these are usually the famil...
04/09/2015 14:34:00

How to help yourself

Though culture shock is normally a temporary phase, it is important to know there are things you can do to help so that some of these worrying effects can be minimised. Don’t feel “this is...
04/09/2015 14:23:00

Road tax

You must ensure that road tax for your car is paid before you drive it. You can obtain a tax disc by applying online or collecting an application form from any Post Office. You will need your V5C reg...
03/09/2015 17:13:00

Mopeds and Motorcycles

Even if you have a licence for driving a car, you might still need to complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course before riding a moped or a motorcycle in the UK. On successful completion of the...
03/09/2015 17:01:00

Your contract

Be aware that you will be signing a legally-binding contract when you finally commit to your accommodation, so be aware of the implications. If I sign a joint contract will my liability be different?...
03/09/2015 10:55:00

Rent and other costs

When considering accommodation, you'll need to consider all the associated costs, not just the rent. Here are some issues to think about.
03/09/2015 10:28:00


Many students prefer to live close to their place of study, but this may not always be the best choice.  You may need to balance cost, quality and convenience, especially in larger cities.  ...
03/09/2015 10:26:00

The property

Here are some suggestions for issues to think about when choosing accommodation.  
03/09/2015 10:20:00


If you have refugee status or Exceptional Leave or Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave in the UK you can claim all welfare benefits, subject to the ‘ordinary’ rules, and you can...
03/09/2015 01:20:00

Paying the bill

02/09/2015 17:39:00

Student exemption

02/09/2015 17:33:00

Travel to your institution

Check any information your college or university has sent you, as it may include information about how to get there from the main airports and other ports in the UK. Some colleges and universities al...
02/09/2015 16:31:00

Study skills for success

02/09/2015 13:08:00


On most courses you will be given a book list. You will not usually be expected to buy or even read every book and journal article on the list. Items on a book list may contain: essential, basi...
02/09/2015 12:46:00


Seminars can be intimidating if you are not used to this kind of teaching. Don’t worry. Many other students feel the same at first. Participating actively in seminars is an important part of the...
02/09/2015 12:46:00

Definitions: for Student Support assessment

This secion has explanations about words and terms which occur in our information on Home or Overseas fees? and Student support. These explanations should not be read in isolation but, instead, combin...
31/07/2015 10:51:00

Cancelled: Brexit live chat on the Guardian’s student network on 26 July

Join us and other expert panelists at the Guardian’s student network for a livechat about Brexit
20/07/2017 13:35:00

WeAreInternational re-launched

Show your support for #weareinternational campaign
05/07/2017 14:37:00

Manchester Metropolitan University wins our Paul Webley Award for Innovation

Research into recruitment strategies and how they compare with real international student experience wins our award, with Nottingham Trent University and Edinburgh College highly commended
28/06/2017 17:55:00

UK proposals for EU citizens after UK leaves EU

UK government publishes proposals on rights of EU citizens after UK leaves the EU
27/06/2017 12:37:00

British Council Alumni Awards open 3 July

Do you know someone who studied in the UK in the last 15 years and is now living outside the UK and doing great things? Encourage them to apply!
26/06/2017 13:39:00

UUK International report: UK ranks 1st among its competitors for international students’ overall satisfaction with support services and overall living experience

Research launched today examines the experience of international students in the UK and key competitor nations.
22/06/2017 08:48:00

Scotland 'Long residence' category now in regulations

Scotland 'Long residence' category introduced in Fees & Stu Support for 2017-18. We are updating our info.
08/06/2017 14:44:00

Share your feedback about our website and be in with a chance of winning a £25 Amazon voucher

Do you use our website? Share your thoughts about what you like and what you don't.
08/06/2017 08:53:00

Personal Problems at exam time - important advice for students

Don't ignore illness at exam time - tell your institution!
10/05/2017 17:20:00

Wales confirms funding for EU students starting in 2018/19

EU students who start courses in 2018/19 will remain eligible for funding in Wales.
05/05/2017 12:17:00

Scottish universities launch a Manifesto for the Mobility of Talent

The Manifesto asks all parties to include a proposal for a Scottish post-study work visa in their plans for Government
04/05/2017 13:54:00

England confirms funding for EU students starting in 2018/19

EU students applying for university places in England 2018/19 will remain eligible for home fees, and for Student Support if applying to SFE.
21/04/2017 16:41:00

Students needed for a study on international and EU student experience in the UK

Opportunity to take part in a survey exploring student wellbeing, cultural differences and coping in stressful situations
12/04/2017 14:19:00

Registration open for British Council free online employability course

‘How to succeed in the global workplace’ launches on 8 May
12/04/2017 10:17:00

Amendments to our England fees and Student Support info

Changes to England's 'Long residence' category took effect from 3 March 2017. See our revised web info.
05/04/2017 17:48:00

Updated information - EU Referendum: what we know for EU students

We have updated our information - EU Referendum: what we know for EU students, following the UK giving notice of its intention to leave the European Union.
30/03/2017 09:41:00

Are you international students’ union of the year?

The NUS International Students’ Awards 2017 are open for nominations
29/03/2017 09:59:00

Resettled Syrians & access to HE: positive ministerial statement

From 1 July 2017, Syrians admitted to UK under VPRS will be granted refugee status (not humanitarian protection). So no 3-year residence test for Student Support eligibility.
24/03/2017 10:11:00

Times Higher Education reveals the top UK universities for student experience – according to students

The results are based on the responses of more than 15,000 undergraduates rating their university.
23/03/2017 09:06:00

'Week' defined for work

Allowed to work? Make sure your hours fit a Monday-Sunday week from 6 April
21/03/2017 10:24:00

Complaints to the OIA and legal action

How to refer a case to the OIA and preserve the right to pursue legal action within relevant deadlines
14/03/2017 10:43:00


  • Site content
  • News