Search Results

results per page
Displaying 251 to 300 (of 586) for

Visa error

This page is only about correcting an error on a vignette (sticker) issued to a person granted entry clearance outside the UK.  For guidance on correcting an error on a biometric residence p...
10/12/2015 14:59:00

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Leave to remain is issued as a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). A BRP is a plastic card (similar to a credit card), which contains your personal information, your biometric information (photograph an...
10/12/2015 10:24:00

Transferring a visa to a new passport

You may need to transfer your visa to a new passport, for example if your passport is lost or stolen, or if it has been retained by the authorities in your home country. If your passport is lost or s...
03/12/2015 16:05:00

Public Funds

What are ‘Public funds’? Public funds’ refers to a specific list in the Immigration Rules of benefits and other payments as listed below. If you have the immigration conditi...
03/12/2015 12:47:00

The bill

A Council Tax bill is based on two main elements: the value of the dwelling, and the number of adult residents age 18 or over who are solely or mainly resident in the dwelling.
03/12/2015 12:06:00

EEA migrant workers

02/12/2015 16:40:00

Applying in Northern Ireland: Who is entitled?

If you meet all the requirements of one or more of the following categories, you will be entitled to some level, and amount, of Student Support. This is only a brief summary of persons who are en...
02/12/2015 16:26:00

Applying in Scotland: Basics

02/12/2015 16:11:00

Further Education for 16-18s

In England, the Education Funding Agency (EFA) and Skills Funding Agency (SFA) fund FE courses. They publish fee assessment guidance on who they will allow to be charged a 'home' fee: EFA fun...
27/11/2015 12:10:00

Career plans

Keeping in touch with referees To help you in your professional life back in your home country, it can be very helpful to have references from the UK. At least a month before you leave, contact a f...
19/11/2015 11:40:00

Motoring organisations

There are a number of motoring organisations in the UK that offer a range of services to the motorist, including breakdown assistance and recovery, insurance and route planning. They tend to charge a ...
19/11/2015 11:29:00


You can sign up for a mobile phone service in the UK, and you can usually use an exisiting handset. When you first arrive, you can use your exisiting mobile phone service from home to m...
18/11/2015 15:43:00


Long-distance bus services (coaches) are inexpensive and popular with students. Local bus services generally cover shorter distances than coach services and are cheaper. In London, bus services...
18/11/2015 15:41:00

London Underground (the ‘Tube’)

Many people use the Tube to get around London. There is a Tube station at Heathrow airport, but not at any other airports near London. The helpful  Transport for London website features...
18/11/2015 15:41:00


Many train services offer either ‘Standard’, or ‘First’ Class' tickets (and therefore seating). First Class is much more expensive than ‘Standard Class’, ...
18/11/2015 15:39:00

A model of culture shock

The process of culture shock can be illustrated by a model known as the “W” curve (see diagram on the following page). This model may not relate to your experience or only partially. Somet...
18/11/2015 15:32:00

Academic culture

It may take some time for you to adjust to studying in the UK. Academic culture and expectations vary according to the subject, the level of study and the type of institution. However, there are some ...
18/11/2015 15:06:00


The UK Government has an official list of institutions that can award recognised UK degrees.
18/11/2015 15:00:00

Tier 5 Temporary Worker

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) replaced a number of provisions with five sub-categories:   creative and sporting charity workers (voluntary work) religious workers governme...
13/11/2015 15:59:00

Apply for a NI number

Your National Insurance number (NINo) is a unique personal number which is used to record your National Insurance contributions. You do not need to have a NINo before starting work, but you must obtai...
13/11/2015 11:37:00

Employer is outside the UK

If your employer is outside the UK, your hours of work undertaken in the UK still count towards your limit of 10 or 20 hours a week in term time.  You should also check with HMRC whether you are ...
13/11/2015 11:14:00

Who needs to know?

You will need to tell various people and offices that you intend to leave the UK.  It may be useful to give some people your forwarding address.    At your institution, not...
05/11/2015 20:02:00

Buying a vehicle

05/11/2015 18:41:00

Learning to drive

If you wish to drive a car in the UK but do not currently hold a valid licence to do so, you will need to apply for a provisional licence and then take a theory test and a practical driving test in or...
05/11/2015 18:38:00

Is it a fraud?

You can help protect yourself by being aware of the common features of these fraudulent calls (‘scams’). The caller may appear to be genuine and convincing, because they hav...
05/11/2015 18:33:00

How the UK medical system works

05/11/2015 15:01:00

Choosing your housing

When choosing your housing, get as much information as you can, as early as possible.  Find out what is available. Check the institution website thoroughly and read all the correspondence se...
05/11/2015 10:34:00


You must not be employed as an entertainer. An ‘entertainer’ is not defined in the Immigration Rules. The Home Office's Business Helpdesk has stated (in an email dated 3 September 2015) t...
22/10/2015 10:52:00

Bringing money to the UK

You need to be careful about how you bring money to the UK and the amount that you carry. 
09/10/2015 15:29:00

Travel insurance

We recommend that you take out travel insurance before you leave home to cover you for your journey and the first week of your stay in the UK.
07/10/2015 16:46:00

Living with non-students

If you live with adults who are not students, and who are not related to you, there will be a bill for the dwelling. You cannot be held jointly liable to pay the bill, for example if you are a joint ...
02/10/2015 11:42:00

Case studies

Yang - Tier 2 Yang had a good experience, applying for Tier 2 leave in order to take up a postdoctoral research position at the University of Birmingham. He also has helpful information about ...
30/09/2015 11:06:00

NHS Debt and Immigration

Since October 2011, the immigration rules have included provisions to refuse immigration applications by some people, if they have an outstanding unpaid invoice for NHS treatment. See our information...
24/09/2015 14:40:00

Student advice

We hope the information on our student webpages will answer most of your questions. But if you cannot find the information you need you may want to speak to someone for further advice: If y...
23/09/2015 16:48:00

Other types of immigration permission

If you are in the UK with some other immigration status, check what your passport sticker or any other documents issued by the Home Office say about employment. You can usually work without restrictio...
18/09/2015 10:42:00

What is term time?

For most students, regardless of when you applied for your leave, term time and holiday or vacation dates are defined by your institution's calendar. These dates are usually based around the academi...
17/09/2015 17:06:00

6 April 2012 - 2 August 2015

During term time you can work for a maximum of 20 hours a week if you are studying at degree level or above at a higher education institution 20 hours a week if you are on a study abroad p...
17/09/2015 17:04:00

3 August 2015 onwards

During term time you can work for a maximum of: 20 hours a week if you are studying at degree level or above at a higher education institution 20 hours a week if you are on a study abroad ...
17/09/2015 16:58:00

Addresses and contacts

04/09/2015 14:57:00

Specific health issues

04/09/2015 14:54:00


If you are traveling to the UK from a country outside the European Union and are carrying more than 10,000 Euros with you in cash, cheques or a bankers draft you will need to declare this to...
04/09/2015 14:38:00


‘Public hire’ taxis or ‘cabs’ are taxis that are licensed to pick up passengers without advancer booking. In London, as in many UK cities, these are usually the famil...
04/09/2015 14:34:00

How to help yourself

Though culture shock is normally a temporary phase, it is important to know there are things you can do to help so that some of these worrying effects can be minimised. Don’t feel “this is...
04/09/2015 14:23:00

Textphone users

If you have difficulties with speech and/or hearing and you use a textphone, you can call our advice line using BT TextDirect. If you are in the UK, call 18001 020 7788 9214 If yo...
04/09/2015 13:05:00

The UKCISA advice line

Our advice line is open from Monday to Friday, 1300 - 1600 hours (UK time). We answer about 10,000 calls annually, so our telephone advice line is very busy. This is why we ask you to try to find...
04/09/2015 13:04:00

Road tax

You must ensure that road tax for your car is paid before you drive it. You can obtain a tax disc by applying online or collecting an application form from any Post Office. You will need your V5C reg...
03/09/2015 17:13:00

Mopeds and Motorcycles

Even if you have a licence for driving a car, you might still need to complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course before riding a moped or a motorcycle in the UK. On successful completion of the...
03/09/2015 17:01:00

Living with your family in the UK

If you wish to enter into a marriage or civil partnership in the UK, the period of notice (of intention to marry) you are required to give to the registrar will increase from 15 to 28 days from 2 Marc...
03/09/2015 11:24:00

Your contract

Be aware that you will be signing a legally-binding contract when you finally commit to your accommodation, so be aware of the implications. If I sign a joint contract will my liability be different?...
03/09/2015 10:55:00


  • Site content
  • News