Search Results

results per page
Displaying 201 to 250 (of 590) for

Higher Education

This information explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the 'home' rate for study on a higher education (HE) course in England. If you fit into one of these ca...
26/05/2016 13:55:00

Immigration issues

Since 14 July 2014 applicants for a UK driving licence are required to show that they have immigration permission to be in the UK for at least six months, unless they have a driving licence from an EE...
24/05/2016 14:43:00

Lawful residence

Lord Scarman, in the House of Lords case of Shah stated that: "Unless, therefore, it can be shown that the statutory framework or the context in which the words are used requires a different meaning...
20/05/2016 14:43:00

31 March 2009 - 5 April 2012 and before 31 March 2009

If you made your Tier 4 immigration application on or after 31 March 2009 and before 6 April 2012, you can remind yourself of your work conditions in Table 2 of a Home Office document for employers ca...
19/05/2016 14:48:00

Further Education for 19 and older

In England, the Education Funding Agency (EFA) and Skills Funding Agency (SFA) fund FE courses. They publish fee assessment guidance on who they will allow to be charged a 'home' fee: EFA fu...
19/05/2016 11:15:00

Applying in Scotland: Who is entitled?

If you meet all the requirements of one or more of the following categories, you will be entitled to some level, and amount, of Student Support. This is only a brief summary of persons who are en...
18/05/2016 12:02:00

Can I apply for tax credits and welfare benefits?

If the entry clearance or residence permit in your passport or your biometric residence card states that you are subject to the condition "No recourse to public funds" or "No public funds", you must n...
06/05/2016 11:49:00

Employers checking permission to work

If you have a passport sticker or biometric residence permit (BRP) that does not prohibit work, you are allowed to take employment as described in What kind of work can you do? and How many hours a we...
06/05/2016 11:45:00

Working after studies have ended

Most students have immigration permission that extends beyond the end of their studies. You can work full time for this extra period once you have completed your course, which is confirmed in the Home...
06/05/2016 11:32:00


The British Council's Education UK website has a facility allowing international students, from both inside and outside the EU, to search for, and gain advice on, scholarships. The following bodies ...
03/05/2016 17:44:00

Course work

These are written assignments, which could be a report or an essay about a particular topic. You’ll be given a deadline for it to be submitted by but usually you can spend as much time as you wa...
26/04/2016 16:26:00

Where, when and how to apply

25/04/2016 17:12:00

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see some of our frequently asked questions below. If you can’t find the answer to your question here or elsewhere on the website, please call our advice line for students or for members. ...
22/04/2016 13:04:00


31/03/2016 17:49:00

Visa conditions

As a short-term student, you have the same conditions, whether you applied for entry clearance or not. If you have successfully applied for entry clearance, check the vignette (sticker) in your ...
31/03/2016 17:46:00

Applying for entry clearance (a visa)

First you need to establish whether you are a visa national or a non-visa national. To do this, check whether the country you are a citizen of appears on the visa national list (you will need to ...
31/03/2016 17:17:00

English language course maximum of 11 months

The Immigration Rules usually allow short-term students to come the UK for a maximum of 6 months. However, there is a special provision in the Immigration Rules that allows people to come as short-ter...
31/03/2016 16:46:00

How to apply

18/03/2016 10:27:00


10/03/2016 12:19:00

Reverse Culture Shock

Before you came to the UK, you probably expected that you would need time to get used to the language, the different foods, the weather and new ways of doing things. Many students are surprised to ...
07/03/2016 14:16:00

Travel and shipping home

Travel To get the cheapest tickets, you have to book early, at least several weeks in advance. You can often find very cheap tickets on the internet, on the websites of either travel companies or the...
07/03/2016 12:28:00

Settled purpose

Lord Scarman in the case of Shah held that the mind of the applicant is important in two regards. One is that the residence is voluntarily adopted. The other is that it is for a settled purpose. Man...
02/03/2016 10:47:00

Temporary absence

Temporary absences from the residence area can be ignored when deciding if you have been  ordinarily resident in an area for a specific length of time, usually three years for the fees and ...
29/02/2016 10:50:00

Voluntarily adopted residence, children's residence

Lord Scarman in the case of Shah stated that when considering ordinary residence the state of mind of a person is important in two respects. One is that the residence is for a settled purpose. The o...
29/02/2016 10:33:00

The case of Shah

Extracts from the case of Shah v London Borough of Barnet 1983 All ER 226 This is the key  case in relation to the meaning of ordinary residence and it is often quoted in other cases.  Not...
25/02/2016 16:05:00

Council Tax

Council Tax is set by local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales to pay for local services that they provide, such as rubbish collection, the police and the fire brigade. It is based on the valu...
25/02/2016 14:44:00

How can you check that you are allowed to work?

Check what your passport sticker (entry clearance or residence permit) or biometric residence permit (BRP) says. You should also have received detailed information in a letter when you received your...
25/02/2016 13:03:00

Going home

In the months before your course finishes, as well as being busy with your examinations, thesis or dissertation, you will also be thinking about what to do next. Like many students, you might be looki...
25/02/2016 12:39:00

Finding work

You can find advertisements for jobs in your local newspapers, in shops, on notice boards around your university or college, in the careers service or your Students' Union. There are many job search w...
25/02/2016 12:07:00

Employer obligations

UK employers have a number of legal duties towards their employees. These include: anti-discrimination measures health and safety requirements the obligation to pay the minimum wage ...
25/02/2016 11:55:00

Income tax, National Insurance

You will have to pay income tax if you earn more than a specified personal allowance in any tax year. You can find out more about personal allowances and income tax rates from Her Majesty's Revenue an...
25/02/2016 11:48:00

Studying music or dance at degree-level

If you are studying music or dance at degree-level, you are allowed to undertake a work placement that involves professional performance, as an exception to the general prohibition on work as an ent...
25/02/2016 11:36:00

Definitions: for fee status assessment

This section has explanations about words and terms which occur in our information on Home or Overseas fees? and Student support. These explanations should not be read in isolation but, inst...
23/02/2016 15:43:00

Courses at further education (FE) institutions

This information explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the 'home' rate if you are studying any course at a FE institution in Northern Ireland. This includ...
23/02/2016 15:02:00

Higher education (HE) courses at HE institutions

This information explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the 'home' rate for study at a HE institution in Northern Ireland. Information is based on the N...
23/02/2016 15:01:00

Further Education

This information primarily explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the ‘home’ rate on courses of further education (FE) in Scotland. The Sc...
23/02/2016 14:29:00

Family members visiting you

A member of your family may wish to come to the UK for a short visit.  This may be because, for example: they are your child but are already over 18, your parent, your brother or sister,&n...
04/02/2016 14:44:00

Schooling for your children

If your children are aged between 5 and 16, they can attend government primary and secondary schools in the UK, as long as they are here as your dependants. You will not have to pay for this. However,...
04/02/2016 14:43:00

Test page layer1

This is the second version of the test page. 
29/01/2016 16:21:00

Safe travel

Be aware of things to avoid to stay safe.  There are tips on staying safe at: Go Europe Lonely Planet Before you travel, make a paper copy and photograph of your passport, your stud...
25/01/2016 16:57:00

Further information

For more information, please see the Frauds, Tricks and Scams webpage at Whenever you receive a telephone call from someone who you do not know, remember that it could be a scam. Crimin...
25/01/2016 14:11:00

How to respond

If you receive such a call (or a similar contact by any other means, for example email or text) we advise as follows: Do not give the caller/sender any personal information, and do not confirm ...
25/01/2016 14:00:00

What you need to declare

If you are travelling to the UK from a country outside the European Union and are carrying the equivalent of 10,000 euros or more in any currency (in cash, banker's draft or cheque of any kind) you wi...
25/01/2016 11:57:00

Lecture notes

When you attend lectures, you will need to take notes. Remember: you don’t need to write down everything the lecturer says: concentrate on the main points and important details mos...
25/01/2016 11:47:00

Know what is required

It is important to know what you need to do to fulfil the course requirements. By finding out the answers to some of the following questions, you may be able to plan your work and how to use your time...
25/01/2016 11:35:00

Sources of information

The internet is a good place to obtain information about an institution and the courses it runs. For example, you can search for courses on the British Council's Education UK website. You can lo...
25/01/2016 10:49:00

Discount travel

Some bus companies travel very cheaply to Europe, for example Megabus. Train travel tends to be more expensive although you can obtain discount as a student on a number of travel tickets. Bus? Train...
25/01/2016 10:11:00

Charity and company information

UKCISA is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (Company Number: 4507287) and a charity registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales (Charity Number: 1095294)....
25/01/2016 09:57:00

What we do

We: Monitor and influence government and education sector policy through close contact with senior officials, policy makers, MPs, partner organisations and sector bodies throughout the UK. ...
25/01/2016 09:46:00


  • Site content
  • News