Search Results

results per page
Displaying 151 to 200 (of 590) for

Post EU referendum

The UK held a referendum on 23 June 2016 to decide whether it will remain in the European Union. The result of the referendum was that 51.9% of those who voted chose to leave the EU. Curren...
13/09/2016 11:48:00

What causes culture shock?

"Culture shock" describes the impact of moving from a familiar culture to one which is unfamiliar. It is an experience described by people who have travelled abroad to work, live or study; it can b...
08/09/2016 10:58:00

Register with a GP

When you arrive in the UK you should register with a local doctor as soon as you can. Do not wait until you are ill. Click on the information below to find out how to do this. #Toggle1#
07/09/2016 16:40:00

Awards for postgraduate study

This section gives you information about the funding available if you are studying in the UK as a postgraduate student.   Loans  If you normally live in England, and you are studying anyw...
06/09/2016 16:53:00

Government Student Support

Student Support is the name given to financial support provided by the Government to eligible students in the UK. Student Support is not considered as one of the 'public funds', as defined in the Imm...
25/08/2016 16:22:00

Sponsor removed from Tier 4 register

The Home Office can remove an institution from the register of Tier 4 sponsors while it is investigating concerns about it. The result of the investigation will be either that the institution is retur...
24/08/2016 14:57:00

Tuition fees

The Complete University Guide publishes a survey of University Tuition Fees in the UK each year. Fees at other types of provider, including private providers and publicly-funded further educ...
19/08/2016 11:03:00

Choosing a course

19/08/2016 09:58:00

Applying in England: Basics

17/08/2016 11:43:00

NHS bursaries

Admission on a NHS-funded course (for example, Nursing or Midwifery) can depend very much on whether you will be granted a NHS Bursary. The requirements are similar to the general Student Support...
17/08/2016 11:15:00


Government Student Support provision exists in each of the four UK countries, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The rules about eligibility for Student Support are broadly similar in eac...
17/08/2016 11:04:00

Welfare Benefits

Welfare benefits are payments given by the government to certain people on low incomes, or to meet specific needs. If you have Tier 4 leave (or any other leave with the condition stating &lsqu...
16/08/2016 12:19:00

Scholarships and funding your studies

UKCISA is not a funding organisation and we do not give grants or scholarships.  This page provides you with introductory information on funding your studies. We have also provided you...
15/08/2016 15:09:00

Claiming welfare benefits or working

This information is specifically aimed at you if you have entered the UK under the Tier 4, or Student, Immigration Rules. #Toggle1#
15/08/2016 14:46:00

Students' unions

International students are increasingly interested in standing for election as sabbatical officers, so it is important to be familiar with the legal requirements for working with those who are subject...
12/08/2016 11:37:00

Students and recent graduates

Students' union sabbatical officers are paid, elected executive union positions. The term "sabbatical officer" also includes those elected to posts with the National Union of Students (NUS). These pos...
12/08/2016 11:12:00

Temporary employment outside the residence area

Both the fees and the Student Support regulations expressly provide that you  are to be treated as ordinarily resident in the relevant residence area if you  would have been ordinarily res...
09/08/2016 16:13:00

Main purpose of residence

For many categories of the fees and Student Support regulations, you have to show not  only that you have been ordinarily resident in a particular area, but also that your main  reason for...
09/08/2016 15:16:00

Ordinary residence case law

Many of the provisions of the fees and Student Support (student finance) regulations require ordinary residence in the UK and Islands, or in the EEA, Switzerland, overseas territories and/or Turkey....
09/08/2016 14:45:00

Government guidance on ordinary residence

Government departments have produced guides to ordinary residence in different contexts. Student Awards Agency Scotland guidance is based on legislation as well as case law. Student Finance Englan...
09/08/2016 14:40:00

Schengen visas

08/08/2016 15:12:00

Speak to your university or college

Worrying about money problems can have a very negative effect on your studies. You should tell your institution that you are having difficulties. The first step is to explain your problem to someone. ...
03/08/2016 16:34:00

Unexpected financial hardship

UKCISA is not a funding organisation and we do not give grants or scholarships. This information is aimed at international students who are not European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss nationals, ...
03/08/2016 14:45:00


All EEA and Swiss national students can work in the UK. You can work during or after studies. However if you are a national of Croatia you may be subject to the 'Worker Authorisation Scheme'...
01/08/2016 11:39:00

Medical treatment

Most students are able to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their country of residence prior to coming to the UK. This card allows EEA nationals to get the same medical treatment, wh...
01/08/2016 11:11:00

Where can I study with a Tier 4 visa?

As a Tier 4 (General) student, you can study at any school, college or university which has been granted a Tier 4 (General) sponsor licence by the Home Office. Only institutions with a Tier 4 sponsor ...
18/07/2016 16:49:00

Under eighteens

If you are less than 16 years old, you can apply for permission to study at an Independent fee-paying school, but you must apply as a Tier 4 (Child) student, not under Tier 4 (General). Ask your schoo...
18/07/2016 15:50:00

Work before and after the course and in holidays

Most Tier 4 students have immigration permission that starts up to one month before the course start date and extends for up to four months beyond the end of their studies. If you are allowed to wo...
07/07/2016 13:20:00

Arriving by air

Most international flights to London arrive at Gatwick or Heathrow airport, but some flights, especially from continental Europe, may arrive at Luton or Stansted. Depending on your final des...
24/06/2016 16:37:00

UK visa holders

There is no problem if you have applied in your home country for a Tier 4 or short-term student visa/entry clearance before travelling. Your UK visa/entry clearance will not be date stamped on entry t...
16/06/2016 14:46:00

Arriving via Ireland

You might travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland. However, it is important to understand that both countries are part of a Common Travel Area (CTA). The CTA streamlines arrival in the UK fr...
16/06/2016 14:43:00

Immigration on arrival

If you travel to the UK by air, you will probably arrive at one of London's main international airports, Heathrow or Gatwick; or one of the big regional airports, such as Manchester, Birmingham, Edinb...
16/06/2016 14:24:00

From the traditional to the weird and wonderful

There are some cultural experiences in the UK which may seem a little unusual when you first get here. From rolling a cheese down a hill to weaving ribbons around a pole, there are a lot of curious cu...
14/06/2016 15:58:00

Unspoken rules and etiquette

As with every culture, in the UK there are a number of unspoken rules that are often expected to be adhered to. Don’t worry about it too much – you’ll soon pick them up. Most notable...
14/06/2016 15:42:00

How to experience UK traditions

Students’ Union Your Students’ Union will most likely hold a range of cultural events about the UK and about other countries, for example a number of Students’ Unions hold celebrati...
14/06/2016 15:33:00

Applying in England: Who is entitled?

If you meet all the requirements of one or more of the following categories, you will be entitled to some level, and amount, of Student Support. This is only a brief summary of persons who are en...
10/06/2016 12:11:00

Transit accommodation

If you wish to stay overnight in London during your journey, you should try to arrange accommodation before you leave your home country. You can book accommodation (using a credit card) before yo...
07/06/2016 15:36:00


There are lots of cycle paths throughout the UK so you can ride your bike safely. Remember that not all cities are large enough to have secure cycle lanes, so you may need more experience to ride a bi...
06/06/2016 16:06:00

Domestic flights

There are more than 20 commercial airports in the UK. This can be quicker than a long train journey and sometimes more affordable, so worth having a look. Explore SkyScanner or to compa...
06/06/2016 15:54:00


These are larger buses and usually for longer journeys. Have a look at National Express (England), Translink (Northern Ireland) and CityLink (Scotland) to see what’s on offer.  Many compani...
06/06/2016 15:38:00


Several cities including Sheffield, Manchester and Edinburgh operate trams.  Like buses, how you pay varies between cities.  You may also be able to get student travel cards that cover trams...
06/06/2016 15:24:00


If you visit London, you’ll probably need to use the Underground – ‘the Tube’. To travel you can either buy a ticket on the day, buy an ‘Oyster card’ (this is a pre...
06/06/2016 15:12:00

On the road

In addition to having current valid road tax, insurance and a driving licence, you must: drive on the left-hand side of the road and overtake on the right-hand side; wear a crash-helmet ...
02/06/2016 17:08:00

Northern Ireland: fee status

Publicly funded educational institutions normally charge two levels of fee: a lower 'home' fee and a higher 'overseas' fee. Private sector institutions often have only one level of tuition fee, whic...
26/05/2016 14:12:00

Wales: fee status

Publicly funded educational institutions normally charge two levels of fee: a lower 'home' fee and a higher 'overseas' fee. Private sector institutions often have only one level of tuition fee, whic...
26/05/2016 14:11:00

Scotland: fee status

Publicly funded educational institutions normally charge two levels of fee: a lower 'home' fee and a higher 'overseas' fee. Private sector institutions often have only one level of tuition fee, which ...
26/05/2016 14:10:00

England: fee status

Publicly funded educational institutions normally charge two levels of fee: a lower 'home' fee and a higher 'overseas' fee. Private sector institutions often have only one level of tuition fee, whic...
26/05/2016 13:59:00


  • Site content
  • News