Search Results

results per page
Displaying 1 to 50 (of 586) for

Comprehensive sickness insurance

In order to have a right of residence in the UK as a student you have to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). The European heath insurance card (EHIC) obtained from your country of residence...
24/03/2017 11:17:00

USA, Japan, South Korea and other non-visa nationals

This information is for nationals of the USA, Japan, South Korea and other non-visa nationals who are planning to travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, and enter the UK as a short-term student...
23/03/2017 14:02:00


You will have the right to apply for administrative review of the refusal. The Home Office will review its decision to see if it made a case working error. You will also have the right to apply for ad...
22/03/2017 16:38:00

Brexit: Impact on student finance

The funding bodies in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, have all given reassurances to EU nationals about continuing student finance eligibility. Betw...
22/03/2017 11:31:00

Home or Overseas fees: the basics

Publicly funded educational institutions normally charge two levels of fee: a lower 'home' fee and a higher 'overseas' fee. Private sector institutions often have only one level of tuition fee...
22/03/2017 11:27:00

Brexit: Impact on fee status assessments

The funding bodies in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, have all given reassurances to EU nationals about continuing student finance eligibility in lig...
22/03/2017 11:26:00

How is a 'week' defined?

From 6 April 2017, 'week' will be defined in the Immigration Rules as "a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday". This is different from the Home Office's view until now, so make sure that your work...
21/03/2017 16:34:00

Am I insured for fees?

Unfortunately, students sometimes have to leave their courses early, or repeat part/all of their courses, due to accidents or illnesses during their studies. You may wish to look at opt...
21/03/2017 13:45:00

Eligible courses

You can study a wide range of courses in the UK, but you must check that the course you want to study is at a high enough level. The levels of courses studied in the UK are defined on these exte...
21/03/2017 11:09:00


UK law requires all motorists to have valid insurance that provides them, or anyone they permit to use the vehicle, with insurance cover for the vehicle that they are driving. It is an offence to driv...
21/03/2017 09:55:00

Tier 4: eligibility and requirements

Tier 4 (General) visas are issued for certain full-time courses.  If your course is eligible course then your institution will give you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) with which y...
20/03/2017 16:23:00

Application checklist

This checklist is only a summary of the steps involved in making a Tier 4 (General) application in the UK. We have included links to more detailed information and to external websites. Choos...
20/03/2017 15:11:00

Can you apply in the UK?

To apply for a new Tier 4 visa in the UK the start date of your new course of studies (as stated on your CAS) must be no more than 28 days after the end of your current leave. If the gap between ...
20/03/2017 13:35:00

Making a Tier 4 (General) application in UK

This information is based on the changes to the Immigration Rules which come into force on 6 April 2017, and on the Home Office's Tier 4 policy guidance which was last updated after changes in No...
20/03/2017 13:27:00

How many hours can you work?

Your work conditions, including the maximum hours you can work during term-time, are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), and will depend mainly on...
20/03/2017 10:13:00

Students' union sabbatical officers

We have written this brief guide to help international students and recently elected students' union sabbatical officers who are subject to immigration control understand the immigration requirements ...
15/03/2017 14:30:00

What to bring

In most housing, you will need to clean your own room and do your own laundry. Some institution housing may provide a cleaner for the communal areas. Housing is normally fully furnished, but ...
13/03/2017 16:32:00

Disabled students

UK institutions are legally required not to discriminate against disabled students, and not to treat them less favourably than other students. Institutions are also required to make adjustments to ser...
13/03/2017 16:28:00

Students with a family

Check early if your institution provides: housing suitable for families short-stay housing for families or for international students individually house-hunting support for students w...
13/03/2017 16:24:00

Accreditation schemes

It is important to check whether a property, landlord or institution is part of a reputable accreditation scheme. In joining an accreditation scheme a landlord commits themselves to offering housing a...
13/03/2017 16:21:00

Booking private housing

It is generally not a good idea to enter into a contract for longer-term housing (other than halls of residence) before you arrive in the UK. There are, however, some exceptions. For example some hous...
13/03/2017 16:19:00

Privately rented housing

If your institution does not offer housing, or if you want to look at alternatives, there are a range of options to consider. You may need to provide evidence of your immigration permission...
13/03/2017 15:38:00

Housing provided by your institution

Halls of residence and other options Housing arranged by your college or university is normally in large halls of residence, although some institutions also own or manage some smaller blocks...
13/03/2017 15:36:00

Planning your housing

When you are planning your housing be clear what the options are be clear what you want, what you need, what you can afford and what you would be prepared to compromise on secure...
13/03/2017 15:15:00

What is a TV licence and do I need one?

In the UK, you need to be covered by a TV Licence to: a) watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, and b) download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This could be on any device, in...
13/03/2017 10:10:00

Northern Ireland

09/03/2017 12:33:00


09/03/2017 12:31:00


09/03/2017 12:29:00


09/03/2017 12:22:00

Family members of EEA nationals

If your family members are also EEA or Swiss nationals, they can come to the UK in the same way as you. If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals, and you are coming to, or you are in, th...
09/03/2017 11:53:00

Staying in the UK as a student

You are entitled to enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months without needing to demonstrate that you are exercising a right of free movement (or right to res...
09/03/2017 11:22:00

Your place of study

In order for the educational institution to be acceptable, the institution must be publicly funded or otherwise accredited. Where an institution is not included on the current Tier 4 register of spo...
06/03/2017 15:18:00

Opening a bank account

On this page, we provide basic information and resources to help you when choosing, and opening, a bank account as international student in the UK. #Toggle1#
24/02/2017 14:03:00

‘No recourse to public funds’

If you have the sentence ‘No recourse to public funds’ included in your passport stamp, or printed on your Biometric Residence Permit, you will not be in breach of your immigration conditi...
23/02/2017 15:24:00

Becoming ‘home’ after the course has started

In some circumstances, it is possible to become a 'home' fee payer after the start of your course. Below, is a summary of changes that can trigger eligibility for ‘home’ fees. In all cases...
23/02/2017 15:19:00

Appealing a fee status decision

If you think a mistake has been made with your fee status decision, do not sign any document/contract agreeing to pay the 'overseas' rate of fee. Contact the institution immediately and ask it to exp...
23/02/2017 15:18:00

How much are ‘overseas’ fees?

'Overseas' fees can range from £3,500 to about £18,000 per year depending on the institution, the level of your course, and the type of course. The fee will probably increase each year by ...
23/02/2017 15:17:00

Higher education (HE) or further education (FE)?

Higher education (HE) courses include HNC and HND courses, undergraduate degrees (for example, BA, BSc, BEd), and postgraduate degrees (for example, MA, MSc, PhD). Further education (FE) courses incl...
23/02/2017 15:06:00

Find out more

For more information about what we do, read our Annual Review for the year 2015-16, and Annual report and summarised accounts for the year ended 31 March 2016. See a full list of ...
13/02/2017 09:28:00

Immigration checks

‘Right to rent’ checks As part of new laws introduced in 2014, landlords are required to check their tenants' immigration status before granting a tenancy agreement, to make sure that...
02/02/2017 14:06:00

Choosing a college or university

There are many factors that need to be taken into account when choosing a course. Things such as the cost of the tuition fees and living expenses, the city where the university is located, the course ...
02/02/2017 10:19:00

More information about money in the UK

As a student, you need to ensure that you have sufficient funds for your fees, accommodation, food, travel, books and other living expenses.  The international student calculator will help you wo...
01/02/2017 15:37:00

Health and healthcare

Arriving in a new country is a very busy time for international students and there are a lot of changes to go through. For example, there are differences in food, weather and customs to cope with. In ...
31/01/2017 12:23:00

UK traditions and culture

The UK is rich with culture and customs, from historic castles and buildings to beautiful gardens. We've written a short guide for international students in the UK. You could see the changing of the ...
25/01/2017 12:26:00

Festivals and celebrations

Make the most of your time in the UK by experiencing some of our festivals and celebrations. We host a number of multicultural festivals. Highlights include: Chinese New Year Outside Asia, the world...
25/01/2017 12:02:00

Incorrectly refused, and those not eligible

24/01/2017 09:03:00

What is UKCISA?

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK's national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them. We have been supporting inter...
16/01/2017 14:29:00

UKCISA website

Our website is divided into two sections. This section is for students.  Members, external organisations and Press can find lots more information on the Institutions website. The students area ...
16/01/2017 14:26:00

Our services

UKCISA provides support to students and to members.  This area of the website is for students.  Members, external organisations and Press can find more information on the Instituti...
16/01/2017 11:42:00


  • Site content
  • News