Search Results

results per page
Displaying 251 to 300 (of 604) for

The case of Shah

Extracts from the case of Shah v London Borough of Barnet [1983] 1 All ER 226 This is the key  case in relation to the meaning of ordinary residence and it is often quoted in other cases. ...
25/02/2016 16:05:00

Going home

In the months before your course finishes, as well as being busy with your examinations, thesis or dissertation, you will also be thinking about what to do next. Like many students, you might be looki...
25/02/2016 12:39:00

Finding work

You can find advertisements for jobs in your local newspapers, in shops, on notice boards around your university or college, in the careers service or your Students' Union. There are many job search w...
25/02/2016 12:07:00

Employer obligations

UK employers have a number of legal duties towards their employees. These include: anti-discrimination measures health and safety requirements the obligation to pay the minimum wage ...
25/02/2016 11:55:00

Income tax, National Insurance

You will have to pay income tax if you earn more than a specified personal allowance in any tax year. You can find out more about personal allowances and income tax rates from Her Majesty's Revenue an...
25/02/2016 11:48:00

Studying music or dance at degree-level

If you are studying music or dance at degree-level, you are allowed to undertake a work placement that involves professional performance, as an exception to the general prohibition on work as an ent...
25/02/2016 11:36:00

Definitions: for fee status assessment

This section has explanations about words and terms which occur in our information on Home or Overseas fees? and Student support. These explanations should not be read in isolation but, inst...
23/02/2016 15:43:00

Courses at further education (FE) institutions

This information explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the 'home' rate if you are studying any course at a FE institution in Northern Ireland. This includ...
23/02/2016 15:02:00

Higher education (HE) courses at HE institutions

This information explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the 'home' rate for study at a HE institution in Northern Ireland. Information is based on the N...
23/02/2016 15:01:00

Further Education

This information primarily explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the ‘home’ rate on courses of further education (FE) in Scotland. The Sc...
23/02/2016 14:29:00

Family members visiting you

A member of your family may wish to come to the UK for a short visit.  This may be because, for example: they are your child but are already over 18, your parent, your brother or sister,&n...
04/02/2016 14:44:00

Schooling for your children

If your children are aged between 5 and 16, they can attend government primary and secondary schools in the UK, as long as they are here as your dependants. You will not have to pay for this. However,...
04/02/2016 14:43:00

Test page layer1

This is the second version of the test page. 
29/01/2016 16:21:00

Safe travel

Be aware of things to avoid to stay safe.  There are tips on staying safe at: Go Europe Lonely Planet Before you travel, make a paper copy and photograph of your passport, your stud...
25/01/2016 16:57:00

Further information

For more information, please see the Frauds, Tricks and Scams webpage at Whenever you receive a telephone call from someone who you do not know, remember that it could be a scam. Crimin...
25/01/2016 14:11:00

How to respond

If you receive such a call (or a similar contact by any other means, for example email or text) we advise as follows: Do not give the caller/sender any personal information, and do not confirm ...
25/01/2016 14:00:00

Lecture notes

When you attend lectures, you will need to take notes. Remember: you don’t need to write down everything the lecturer says: concentrate on the main points and important details mos...
25/01/2016 11:47:00

Know what is required

It is important to know what you need to do to fulfil the course requirements. By finding out the answers to some of the following questions, you may be able to plan your work and how to use your time...
25/01/2016 11:35:00

Discount travel

Some bus companies travel very cheaply to Europe, for example Megabus. Train travel tends to be more expensive although you can obtain discount as a student on a number of travel tickets. Bus? Train...
25/01/2016 10:11:00

Charity and company information

UKCISA is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (Company Number: 4507287) and a charity registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales (Charity Number: 1095294)....
25/01/2016 09:57:00

What we do

We: Monitor and influence government and education sector policy through close contact with senior officials, policy makers, MPs, partner organisations and sector bodies throughout the UK. ...
25/01/2016 09:46:00

Where and when to travel

Where? If you have come to the UK from outside Europe, you have a fantastic opportunity to travel around during breaks from your studies. There are many online guides to help you choose where to go a...
25/01/2016 09:45:00

Plan your journey

Check the information from your college or university for details about how to get there, including any transport arranged by your institution. Carry this information in your hand luggage. ...
22/01/2016 16:58:00

Our aims

To increase support for international education and raise awareness of its values and benefits. To promote greater student mobility and reduce obstacles and barriers to it. To encourag...
21/01/2016 16:21:00

International Student Calculator

The international student calculator is a website with information and advice about UK living costs and managing your money. Find out about Budgeting Banking Accommodation Emplo...
21/01/2016 12:18:00

Prepare for success

You can find useful information about study in the UK on our webpages.  Find out the difference between a lecture, a seminar and a tutorial, different methods of assessment and tips on study...
21/01/2016 12:03:00

Work rights

19/01/2016 20:07:00

Croatian nationals

Croatia became part of the European Union on 1 July 2013. However, the UK Government has restricted access to employment in the UK for Croatians. This is likely to be for a period of five years from a...
19/01/2016 19:58:00

Study and assessment methods

19/01/2016 17:58:00

Applying in Wales: Basics

19/01/2016 14:47:00

Applying in Wales: Who is entitled?

If you meet all the requirements of one or more of the following categories, you will be entitled to some level, and amount, of Student Support. This is only a brief summary of persons who a...
19/01/2016 14:46:00

Test page layer2

Etiam in quam quis mi sodales hendrerit non iaculis leo. Mauris id lacus non ligula placerat scelerisque gravida in ex. In tincidunt pulvinar est, quis fermentum orci finibus a. Cras efficitur euismod...
19/01/2016 09:09:00

Currency Limits

If you bring money worth 10,000 Euros or more (including money in other currencies) and you are coming  to the UK from a country that is outside the European Union, you have to declare that sum t...
11/01/2016 12:04:00

Bringing cash

We strongly advise against bringing large amounts of cash and recommend that you bring most of your money in Travellers' Cheques or use a Travellers' Cheque card. Keep your Travellers' Cheques in a di...
11/01/2016 12:00:00

Entrepreneurs, ‘high value migrants’

Tier 1 of the Points Based System offers several routes for working in the UK as what the Home Office terms a "high-value migrant". It is for entrepreneurs, including recent graduates f...
11/01/2016 11:37:00

Biometric Residence Permit

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a document issued by the Home Office to students (and their partners and children) as evidence of their immigration permission (also known as ...
06/01/2016 16:17:00

Dual citizens

If you are a citizen of one of the countries listed above, other than the UK, and also have citizenship of another non-EEA country, you will be able to come to the UK under European law. In addit...
11/12/2015 13:06:00

Lost passport or BRP while outside UK

Before you travel, make a paper copy and photograph of your passport, your student visa and/or your student Biometric Residence Permit  (BRP) and keep them separate to your travel documents. ...
11/12/2015 12:54:00

Visa error

This page is only about correcting an error on a vignette (sticker) issued to a person granted entry clearance outside the UK.  For guidance on correcting an error on a biometric residence p...
10/12/2015 14:59:00

Transferring a visa to a new passport

You may need to transfer your visa to a new passport, for example if your passport is lost or stolen, or if it has been retained by the authorities in your home country. If your passport is lost or s...
03/12/2015 16:05:00

Further advice

If you need more information or advice on your entitlement to benefits, the Students’ Union Student Advice Service or your institution may help. You can also get free advice from any Citizens Ad...
03/12/2015 13:07:00

Public Funds

What are ‘Public funds’? Public funds’ refers to a specific list in the Immigration Rules of benefits and other payments as listed below. If you have the immigration conditi...
03/12/2015 12:47:00

EEA migrant workers

02/12/2015 16:40:00

Applying in Northern Ireland: Who is entitled?

If you meet all the requirements of one or more of the following categories, you will be entitled to some level, and amount, of Student Support. This is only a brief summary of persons who are en...
02/12/2015 16:26:00

Applying in Scotland: Basics

02/12/2015 16:11:00

Further Education for 16-18s

In England, the Education Funding Agency (EFA) and Skills Funding Agency (SFA) fund FE courses. They publish fee assessment guidance on who they will allow to be charged a 'home' fee: EFA fun...
27/11/2015 12:10:00

Career plans

Keeping in touch with referees To help you in your professional life back in your home country, it can be very helpful to have references from the UK. At least a month before you leave, contact a f...
19/11/2015 11:40:00

Refunds and Deposits

Housing deposit If you have paid a deposit for your accommodation, see our information about accommodation deposits and speak to your landlord about how to arrange for return of the deposi...
19/11/2015 11:38:00

Motoring organisations

There are a number of motoring organisations in the UK that offer a range of services to the motorist, including breakdown assistance and recovery, insurance and route planning. They tend to charge a ...
19/11/2015 11:29:00


You can sign up for a mobile phone service in the UK, and you can usually use an exisiting handset. When you first arrive, you can use your exisiting mobile phone service from home to m...
18/11/2015 15:43:00


  • Site content
  • News