Search Results

results per page
Displaying 51 to 100 (of 604) for

Babies born in the UK

This information is about immigration matters for babies born in the UK to a Tier 4 student and their Tier 4 dependant partner.  If you are a Tier 4 student and you are pregnant, it is very impo...
27/11/2016 09:46:00

Basic residence rights

EEA and Swiss nationals have an initial, unrestricted right to reside in another member state for up to three months (in this case the UK). Thereafter, you must be here as a student, employe...
30/03/2017 15:26:00


Government Student Support provision exists in each of the four UK countries, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The rules about eligibility for Student Support are broadly similar in eac...
17/08/2016 11:04:00

BBC reports that LSBF students have demanded refunds

BBC News has reported that international students have asked the London School of Business and Finance for their money back.
22/02/2016 13:25:00

Be an innovator Whether you’re looking to develop your innovation skills, you have an idea for a business, or you have an existing business and are looking for it to grow, use t...
27/04/2017 14:40:00

Becoming ‘home’ after the course has started

In some circumstances, it is possible to become a 'home' fee payer after the start of your course. Below, is a summary of changes that can trigger eligibility for ‘home’ fees. In all cases...
23/02/2017 15:19:00

Best UK universities for student experience

Wondering where to study in the UK? The Times Higher Education survey has revealed the best universities in the UK for student experience.
21/03/2016 12:25:00

Big welcome to our international student intern!

We’ve recently recruited a new communications intern at UKCISA to help us work more closely with international students and students’ unions.
07/07/2016 15:01:00

Biometric Residence Permit

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a document issued by the Home Office to students (and their partners and children) as evidence of their immigration permission (also known as ...
06/01/2016 16:17:00

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Your permission to be in the UK is issued as a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), separate from your passport. A BRP is a plastic card similar to a credit card which contains your personal information,...
20/09/2017 10:27:00

BIS call for evidence on switching university/course

BIS public call for evidence on switching runs until 19 July. Students & members encouraged to feedback.
23/06/2016 14:33:00

BIS 'Tigere' consultation - UKCISA's response

UKCISA has responded to BIS's consultation on new Student Support regulations for those who have a long residential connection with the UK (the 'Tigere' case).
14/01/2016 14:26:00

Blog - Our Manifesto for International Students

Our key principles and recommendations for a fairer and more efficient system for international students in the UK.
05/03/2015 11:21:00

Booking private housing

It is generally not a good idea to enter into a contract for longer-term housing (other than halls of residence) before you arrive in the UK. There are, however, some exceptions. For example some hous...
13/03/2017 16:19:00

Brexit is no reason to retreat from internationalism

We are still international: a blog by Abdi-Aziz Suleiman, former president of the University of Sheffield Students' Union
01/09/2016 13:49:00

Brexit: Impact on fee status assessments

The funding bodies in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, have all given reassurances to EU nationals about continuing student finance eligibility in lig...
05/05/2017 09:41:00

Brexit: Impact on student finance

The funding bodies in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, have all given reassurances to EU nationals about continuing student finance eligibility. &nbs...
17/05/2017 11:02:00

Bringing cash

We strongly advise against bringing large amounts of cash and recommend that you bring most of your money in Travellers' Cheques or use a Travellers' Cheque card. Keep your Travellers' Cheques in a di...
11/01/2016 12:00:00

Bringing money to the UK

You need to be careful about how you bring money to the UK and the amount that you carry. 
09/10/2015 15:29:00

British Council GREAT Scholarships for Indian students

198 new scholarships in partnership with 40 universities are on offer.
25/11/2016 14:52:00

British Council launches 2017 awards to celebrate outstanding achievements of alumni

Start planning your entries for the awards which open on 7 September 2016
07/07/2016 10:13:00

British-Irish visit visa

New joint British-Irish visit visa for Chinese and Indian nationals from end October.
06/10/2014 15:03:00


The International Student Calculator is an online interactive tool specially designed to help you prepare a budget before you arrive in the UK or when you get here.  It also contains useful infor...
30/11/2017 14:50:00


Long-distance bus services (coaches) are inexpensive and popular with students. Local bus services generally cover shorter distances than coach services and are cheaper. In London, bus services...
18/11/2015 15:41:00

Buying a vehicle

05/11/2015 18:41:00

Calculating living costs

The Home Office has confirmed the correct way to calculate living costs for Tier 4 applications
03/08/2016 11:24:00

Call for education journal papers

£500 prize for students & staff partnership projects, journal co-funded by JISC and University of Greenwich
08/10/2014 09:00:00

Call for Proposals for UKCISA Conference 2017!

Get your thinking caps on over Christmas! Deadline for proposals is 16 January 2017
16/12/2016 16:30:00

Can I apply for tax credits and welfare benefits?

If the entry clearance or residence permit in your passport or your biometric residence card states that you are subject to the condition "No recourse to public funds" or "No public funds", you must n...
06/05/2016 11:49:00

Can you apply in the UK?

First, check that the start date of your new course of studies (as stated on your CAS) is no more than 28 days after the end of your current visa. If the start date is later, you must leave the UK and...
14/12/2017 11:45:00

Can you work?

Tier 4 (General) students who are sponsored by a higher education institution (HEI) or by an overseas HEI can work during their studies. Tier 4 sponsors are listed by type of institution in the regi...
18/04/2017 15:19:00

Cancelled: Brexit live chat on the Guardian’s student network on 26 July

Join us and other expert panelists at the Guardian’s student network for a livechat about Brexit
20/07/2017 13:35:00

Career plans

Keeping in touch with referees To help you in your professional life back in your home country, it can be very helpful to have references from the UK. At least a month before you leave, contact a f...
19/11/2015 11:40:00

Case studies

Yang - Tier 2 Yang had a good experience, applying for Tier 2 leave in order to take up a postdoctoral research position at the University of Birmingham. He also has helpful information about ...
30/09/2015 11:06:00

Changes to Entrepreneur and other Rules

Restrictions on Entrepreneur applications from students from tomorrow and other immigration changes
10/07/2014 14:11:00

Changes to the Immigration Rules

Outlining the key changes in the Immigration Rules which impact on students and their family members
08/12/2017 17:07:00

Changes to the Immigration Rules affecting students

Our summary of student-related immigration changes, following the Government's announcements this week
15/07/2015 16:47:00

Changes to the immigration rules, March to July 2014

Immigration rule changes in March, April, May, July 2014 will affect Tier 4 applicants and their dependants
14/03/2014 16:41:00

Changes to work rules in April

Some work categories change on 6 April. The biggest changes are to the Graduate Entrepreneur rules.
17/03/2014 15:32:00

Changing your name on an immigration document

Home Office guidance published on what is required to change your name on immigration documents
20/02/2015 15:37:00

Charity and company information

UKCISA is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (Company Number: 4507287) and a charity registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales (Charity Number: 1095294)....
25/01/2016 09:57:00

Chevening scholarships now open for 2016/17

Apply now for a Chevening scholarship for study in 2016/17
06/08/2015 09:26:00

Chief Inspector's report on administrative review

Chief inspector's report on administrative review - much room for improvement
31/05/2016 15:36:00

Choosing a college or university

There are many factors that you’ll want to consider when choosing what and where to study in the UK. Things such as the cost of the tuition fees and living expenses, the city where the universit...
31/08/2017 11:35:00

Choosing a course

10/09/2017 23:01:00

Choosing your housing

When choosing your housing, get as much information as you can, as early as possible.  Find out what is available. Check the institution website thoroughly and read all the correspondence se...
27/04/2017 11:49:00

Claiming welfare benefits or working

This information is specifically aimed at you if you have entered the UK under the Tier 4, or Student, Immigration Rules. #Toggle1#
15/08/2016 14:46:00

Clarification on Tier 4 pilot scheme

It has been reported that the UK Government has re-introduced a post-study work scheme for graduates of some universities. Unfortunately this is not the case.
01/08/2016 11:08:00

Closing soon: Study UK Alumni Awards

Do you know someone who studied in the UK in the last 15 years and is now living outside the UK and doing great things? Encourage them to apply!
10/10/2017 13:39:00


  • Site content
  • News