Search Results

results per page
Displaying 51 to 100 (of 604) for

Travel to your institution

Check any information your college or university has sent you, as it may include information about how to get there from the main airports and other ports in the UK. Some colleges and universities al...
10/09/2017 23:04:00

Facing culture shock

While usually temporary, culture shock is common among international students arriving in the UK. You will notice differences between the way things are done and what you are used to at home. These in...
10/09/2017 23:04:00

Restricted and prohibited items when entering the UK

When you have found all your baggage you must pass through Customs Control. Join the queue for either the green channel if you have nothing to declare, the red channel if you have goods to declare, ...
10/09/2017 23:03:00

Planning your housing

When you are planning your housing be clear what the options are be clear what you want, what you need, what you can afford and what you would be prepared to compromise on secure...
10/09/2017 23:02:00

Study skills for success

10/09/2017 23:02:00

Choosing a course

10/09/2017 23:01:00

Preparing for your arrival to the UK

Preparing for your arrival to the UK can seem particularly overwhelming. You may have lots of questions; what do I need to bring? How do I arrange my travel? What paperwork do I need to have? Read our...
10/09/2017 23:00:00

Students' unions in the UK

Find out about students' unions at Fresher’s Fair. This is often the week before classes start when you can find out about all the things that are happening in the student union and join in many...
04/09/2017 17:11:00

Tuition fees

The Complete University Guide publishes a survey of University Tuition Fees in the UK each year. Fees at other types of provider, including private providers and publicly-funded further educ...
31/08/2017 11:40:00

Your qualifications

You can check the equivalence of your country's qualifications with those in the UK by contacting the National Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC). The international recruitment staff...
31/08/2017 11:39:00


The UK Government has an official list of institutions that can award recognised UK degrees.
31/08/2017 11:36:00

Choosing a college or university

There are many factors that you’ll want to consider when choosing what and where to study in the UK. Things such as the cost of the tuition fees and living expenses, the city where the universit...
31/08/2017 11:35:00

Sources of information

The internet is a good place to obtain information about an institution and the courses it runs. For example, you can search for courses on the British Council's Study UK website. You can look for an...
31/08/2017 11:24:00

30-day vignette

The following information outlines the steps to take if there is a problem with your 30-day vignette. #Toggle1#
25/08/2017 14:01:00

Vignette for full length of leave

The following information outlines the steps you will need to take if there is a problem with a vignette issued for the full length of your stay in the UK:   #Toggle1#
25/08/2017 13:59:00

97% go home when visas expire

Government reports show that 97% of international students go home before their study visas expire. And the Home Secretary has commissioned the MAC to undertake a review of the impact of international...
25/08/2017 10:42:00

Funding for healthcare courses

Admission on healthcare courses, such as Nursing or Midwifery, can depend very much on whether you will be granted funding. In England, the former NHS Bursary scheme has now closed to new applicants (...
18/08/2017 09:26:00

31 March 2009 - 5 April 2012 and before 31 March 2009

If you made your Tier 4 immigration application on or after 31 March 2009 and before 6 April 2012, you can remind yourself of your work conditions in Table 2 of the July 2016 version of An employer's ...
17/08/2017 14:42:00

Work with Tier 4 leave after study has ended

Most students have immigration permission that extends beyond the end of their studies. You can work full time for this extra period once you have completed your course, which is confirmed in the Home...
17/08/2017 14:31:00

How is a 'week' defined?

Since 6 April 2017, 'week' has been defined in the Immigration Rules as "a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday".  If you work irregular hours and/or have more than one employer, you will ne...
17/08/2017 14:26:00

What is term time?

For most students, regardless of when you applied for your leave, term time and holiday or vacation dates are defined by your institution's calendar. These dates are usually based around the academi...
17/08/2017 14:19:00

You are outside the UK

This page explains how you are affected by your institutions's problems with its Tier 4 sponsor licence if you are not in the UK. You might not have applied for your Tier 4 entry clearance (visa) ye...
16/08/2017 12:56:00

Next steps

This section explains your options if you stop studying at your sponsor institution because it has a problem with its Tier 4 licence or has closed. It is very important that the Home Office has your ...
16/08/2017 10:53:00

Your institution has Tier 4 sponsor licence problems

Most students complete their studies in the UK with no issues around their visa or Tier 4 sponsorship.  However, occasionally the Home Office (UK Visas and Immigration) might question whether a T...
11/08/2017 10:51:00

Self-employment and business activity

Under Tier 4 you cannot be self-employed, which is defined in the Immigration Rules: “'Self-Employed' means an applicant is registered as self-employed with HM Revenue & Customs, or is empl...
11/08/2017 10:38:00

What kind of work can you do?

If you are allowed to work, you can do most kinds of work. Find out more about how many hours you can work. There are some kinds of work you must not do: self-employment and business ac...
11/08/2017 10:32:00

Student immigration: the basics

Most types of immigration permission allow you to study in the UK. The categories aimed specifically at students are Tier 4 and short-term student. We provide information about: • the Ti...
11/08/2017 10:15:00

Do I need entry clearance?

If you are applying under the 11-month short-term student route you must apply for entry clearance before travelling to the UK. It does not matter if you are a visa national or a non-visa nationa...
10/08/2017 17:02:00

The bill

A Council Tax bill is calculated according to two main elements: the value of the dwelling, and the number of adult residents age 18 or over who are solely or mainly resident in the dwelli...
10/08/2017 16:31:00

Council Tax

Council Tax is set by local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales to pay for local services that they provide, such as rubbish collection, the police and the fire brigade. It is based on the valu...
10/08/2017 15:30:00

USA, Japan, South Korea and other non-visa nationals

This information is for nationals of the USA, Japan, South Korea and other non-visa nationals who are planning to travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, and enter the UK as a short-term student...
10/08/2017 12:10:00

Arriving via Ireland

You might travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland. However, it is important to understand that both countries are part of a Common Travel Area (CTA). The CTA streamlines arrival in the UK fr...
10/08/2017 12:04:00

Students' union sabbatical officers

We have written this brief guide to help international students and recently elected students' union sabbatical officers who are subject to immigration control understand the immigration requirements ...
10/08/2017 09:30:00

Information for students' unions

International students are increasingly interested in standing for election as sabbatical officers, so it is important to be familiar with the legal requirements for working with those who are subject...
09/08/2017 17:43:00

Information for students and recent graduates

Students' union sabbatical officers are paid, elected executive union positions. The term "sabbatical officer" also includes those elected to posts with the National Union of Students (NUS). These pos...
09/08/2017 17:26:00

Options when a sabbatical officer post ends

Your options when your sabbatical officer post ends depend on whether you need to complete your course, and whether you want to undertake further study or find work in the UK or elsewhere. Finish...
09/08/2017 17:23:00

When can sabbatical officers start work?

You do not need to make an immigration application before starting work if you have immigration permission (leave) that allows you to work full time and that covers the whole of your period of work as...
09/08/2017 17:16:00

Sabbatical officers and Tier 4

Students and recent graduates who have Tier 4 immigration permission (leave) can undertake a full-time sabbatical officer post. You will need to take time out of your study or you can undertake the po...
09/08/2017 17:06:00

6 April 2012 - 2 August 2015

First check whether you are allowed to work - see Can you work?  If you are permitted to work, you are restricted to working a maximum number of hours a week in term time. Maximum workin...
09/08/2017 16:26:00

Applying for entry clearance

Your application must include: The completed application form. In every country apart from North Korea, you have to fill this in online. You will be asked your 'reason for visit'. Cho...
09/08/2017 15:48:00

Living with non-students

If you live with adults who are not students, there will be a bill for the dwelling. You cannot be held jointly liable to pay the bill, for example, if you are a joint tenant with the non-student(s)....
09/08/2017 12:06:00

Student exemption

09/08/2017 10:55:00

Making a Tier 4 (General) application in UK

You may need to make a Tier 4 application while you are in the UK because: you are progressing to a new course of study you need more time because of re-sits or repeating part of your cour...
07/08/2017 12:04:00

What you need to declare

If you are travelling to the UK from a country outside the European Union and are carrying the equivalent of 10,000 euros or more in any currency (in cash, banker's draft or cheque of any kind) you wi...
03/08/2017 16:29:00

Good practice

03/08/2017 14:43:00

EU: No major changes

Despite much debate, students may be re-assured to know that there have been no recent changes for those arriving in 2017 or 2018
03/08/2017 12:27:00

International students of 2017-18: your journey starts now!

Got lots of questions about what to bring to study in the UK? Read our pre-arrival information to help you prepare.
03/08/2017 12:11:00

Voluntarily adopted and children's residence

Lord Scarman in the case of Shah stated that when considering ordinary residence the state of mind of a person is important in two respects. One is that the residence is for a settled purpose. The o...
02/08/2017 19:00:00

Settled purpose and ordinary residence in more than one place

Lord Scarman in the case of Shah held that the mind of the applicant is important in two regards. One is that the residence is voluntarily adopted. The other is that it is for a settled purpose, and ...
02/08/2017 19:00:00

Lawful residence

Lord Scarman, in the House of Lords case of Shah stated that: "Unless, therefore, it can be shown that the statutory framework or the context in which the words are used requires a different meaning...
02/08/2017 18:59:00


  • Site content
  • News