Tier 4 money: myths and misunderstandings

Blog for students
03 August 2017
17     11

In the first of three blog posts, Andrew Humphrey investigates some persistent myths about the money and evidence you need for a Tier 4 application.   Part 2 is about where misreadings of the Rules and guidance have caused misunderstandings, while Part 3 is about whether there are secret Tier 4 rules about money

This blog post was published on 26 January 2018. The information in it, all references to Immigration Rules and Home Office guidance, and any links to other websites and guidance were all current and accurate on that date. If you are reading this blog post after 26 January 2018, please also see our full guide to Tier 4 eligibility and requirements, which is updated regularly.

"There are many myths surrounding the UK visa application process"
Claire Murray, Head of Visas and Immigration, British High Commission Islamabad (22 July 2014

As an International Student Adviser I spend a lot of time debunking myths and correcting misunderstandings about student visas. And the most persistent myths are those about the money you need for a Tier 4 application. 

Myths often arise from a simple misunderstanding of what the Immigration Rules say. For example, some applicants think that because an Immigration Rule requires that your money must “remain available” after you apply, it means that you cannot spend it.  Or even that the Home Office will somehow gain access your personal bank account to check your money is still there. Neither is true, and in Part 2 I explore the reality of this common myth and some other frequently misunderstood Rules.

Another type of myth arises when the Immigration Rules and the related Tier 4 guidance have a specific requirement, but experience seems to suggest that there may be some flexibility around that requirement. A rumour may then spread that it is fine to disregard the requirement completely. UKCISA and most International Student Advisers always advise that you act on what the Rules and guidance actually say, and Part 3 of this blog offers some practical advice on how to do that, even when the Home Office's Rules and practice appear confusing or contradictory.

In this first blog, I will break down some of the myths that have no basis in the Immigration Rules at all, nor in any related Tier 4 guidance. They may appear to be logical and common sense, but they are not Tier 4 requirements. For example, some applicants believe that if you apply in your home country, you cannot use evidence of money in a UK bank account -- and vice versa.  It’s not true!  Others will start to panic about their bank statement because it has their old address, or no address.  It doesn’t matter!

Where do these myths come from?  It is difficult to know.  I have sometimes tried to trace the source, for example asking a student where they read or heard it. The trail usually goes cold very quickly. Sometimes it seems that the busiest student immigration adviser in the UK is “my friend”. To be fair, sometimes wrong information and advice can also come from parents, agents, bank staff, lawyers or even from the Home Office.  These people may mean well, but it is very important to only act on advice from the expert who has your best interests at heart and who is embedded at your Tier 4 sponsor institution:  the trained and regulated specialist International Student Adviser.


Bank statements are always needed for a Tier 4 application, even if all your costs are covered by a scholarship or loan.


If you have a scholarship or loan that covers all your fees for the first year and the required amount for living costs, that is all the evidence of the money you need. Additional evidence (for example, bank statements) would only be needed if there was a shortfall.

What’s more, even if you do need evidence of your own money, bank statements are only one type of acceptable evidence. You can also use a bank letter or a building society passbook, or a combination of all of them, and any of them can be held in a parent’s or legal guardian’s name. You can also use evidence of certain types of loan, although that can only be in your own name.

We have prepared a detailed guide on showing evidence of your money.


If you apply in your home country, your money must be held in a bank account in your home country. If you apply in the UK, your money must be in an account in the UK.


There are specific requirements for the evidence of your money, including the types of account and financial products where it can be held, and in whose name it can be held, but otherwise the money can be held in any country and any currency.

The Home Office also has specific requirements for what any bank statement needs to show, and you should check any bank statements against these requirements. But they are fairly universal requirements and most formal bank statements issued anywhere in the world would usually meet them.

There is no requirement to show (or not show) evidence that they money is held in any particular country. Nor is there any specific advantage in doing so. For example, using statements from your UK bank account does not make an application made outside the UK more likely to succeed than using a local bank account. 

There may be some situations where you specifically choose to show funds held in the UK or held not in your local home currency.  Perhaps your home currency is very volatile and may dip below the minimum required balance when converted into sterling, or your home country account may be held with one of the “unacceptable” banks listed in the Immigration Rules.

See our guidance on evidence of your money, including the “unacceptable” banks.


If you are using statements from your joint account, you need the consent from the other account holder(s)


It is a good idea, or at least polite, to make sure the other account holder(s) agrees for you to use money in your joint account to pay for your tuition fees and living costs, and to tell them that you will be showing the Home Office evidence of that. However, the Tier 4 application does not require their consent or any evidence of their identity or of their relationship to you.  This is so even if they are your parent or legal guardian.  (If the money is held in a joint account in both parents' names, not jointly with you, you do need evidence of their consent and of the relationship.)


A bank statement must include your full name and current address


Neither is required.  Appendix C, Paragraph 1B(a)(iii) of Immigration Rules lists exactly what a bank statement must include.  It must show the account holder’s name, but not necessarily their full name. A UK bank account rarely includes the account holder’s full name, often just their initials and a family name, so it would not be sensible or reasonable for this to be a requirement for a statement used in a Tier 4 application.

A bank statement must also show the account number, the date of the statement, the bank’s name and logo, and the transactions. Of course, overall it must also show that the right amount of money has been held for the full 28 days, with the closing balance no more than 31 days before the day you apply.  

There is no requirement in Appendix C, Paragraph 1B(a)(iii) for a bank statement to show the account holder’s address.  So a statement can show an old address, a wrong address, any other address, or no address at all. 

See our full guide to the maintenance requirement, and what evidence you need


Part 2 of this series includes our answers to questions about:

Part 3 covers:


Andrew Humphrey is an Advice and Training Officer at UKCISA. References to and quotes from the Immigration Rules and related guidance were correct at the time of publication, but they may change.


Comments are now closed. 

06 November 2017
I am applying for a tier 4 visa and my friend (a Citizen of the UK) has kindly offered to pay for my education and living expenses. Could you please help me with the documents that she needs to provide from her end. Is it possible to be an individual sponsor?
09 November 2017
Mandira, we cover this in detail in Tier 4: eligibility and requirements > Evidence > Your Money. Under "Using your parents or legal guardian's funds" we explain that:

"Any [...] relative (or unrelated person) can pay money direct to your Tier 4 sponsor on your behalf, for example to pay your course fees or housing costs. However, any evidence of money that you submit in support of your Tier 4 application (for example bank statements) must be in your name or in your parent's / legal guardian's name (or names).

"You cannot use evidence of money held in any other person's name, even if you have their permission to do so. If someone who is not your parent or guardian is giving you money for your living costs, they will need to put the money in your own account (or in your parent or legal guardian's account), allowing enough time for you (or your parent or legal guardian) to hold the funds for at least 28 days and get evidence of this, before you apply for your Tier 4 visa."

For further advice, please contact the international student adviser at your Tier 4 sponsor institution.
23 October 2017
After showing 28 consecutive days statement .I can not withdraw any amounts while i was applying or within a week of my application(visa).
is this correct.
or else please specify the matter.
thank you
23 October 2017
Mizanur, I covered this in detail in the Part 2. There is a link in the heading, and at the end of this blog.
Faridah Adeyemo
20 August 2017
Good evening.
A friend of mine is really worried that his tier 4 visa application, may be refused, as he was told that UKVI may doubt the authenticity of the money in his account, as the money which is almost £20000 ,was transferred into his account on a single day. How true is this, please? What do you advice, please?
Thank you.
29 August 2017
Sorry we don't give advice here on the blog. For one-to-one advice please contact your international student adviser or our student advice line.
Last Nyakocha
13 August 2017
I thought if I am going to stay with family member I would not need to show proof of money for living costs, as long as they (family member) gives supporting documents that they are prepared to take care of my upkeep. I have paid my fee deposit and have sent proof ( bank statement) of the remaining fee amount.
14 August 2017
No that is not correct. I discuss this myth in detail in the second blog (link in the heading above). The international student adviser at your university can advise on your options now.
07 August 2017
Hi Andrew. Thank you for a great serious of articles. I think a couple of moments need a slight correction.

Not in all countries bank statements suffice the requirements. In the CIS (Kazakhstan, Russia) bank statements from many banks don't suffice and a bank letter is required as well.

Regarding joint accounts, there's a place in the application form where the joint account holder must sign.
08 August 2017
Thank you Asiya, I'm glad you enjoyed the blogs. Re: bank statements, I'm sure there are other banks whose statements also do not meet the UKVI's specific requirements, so I was careful to say statements from "most" non-UK banks should be okay, but definitely not all. The applicant should always check their statements against the requirements. For specific advice, they can consult the international student adviser at your college or university.
07 August 2017
The required amount for my living costs plus tuition fee is 27735. Will be any problem if I have more money in my bank account than the required amount?
08 August 2017
Please see our detailed guidance on Tier 4 eligibility and requirements, and for one-to-one advice please contact your international student adviser or our student advice line.
Tingting Bai
03 August 2017
I had paid the deposit around £2500, could I need to save money as same as someone who did not paid that? (precondition:we both have the same amount number need to pay)
03 August 2017
For information please see our detailed guidance on Tier 4 eligibility and requirements, and for one-to-one advice please contact your international student adviser or our student advice line.
Mengmeng Jin
28 July 2017
If my tuition fee is 16100 pounds, how much money do I need to put in my account at least?
31 July 2017
For information please see our detailed guidance on Tier 4 eligibility and requirements, and for one-to-one advice please contact your international student adviser or our student advice line.