When you apply for a Tier 4 visa, you have to show that you have a minimum level of funds to cover the costs of living and studying in the UK.
However, the amount of money you actually need when you are here depends on your lifestyle.
Once you’re here in the UK there are lots of things you can do to save some money. Here are our top five:
- Cook with your flatmates – share recipes from your home country, make it a social occasion at the same time! Have a look at BBC Good Food for recipe inspiration, they have a handy ‘cheap and healthy’ section as well
- Get your NUS extra card – includes discounts in supermarkets, high street stores as well as international discounts
- Use Microsoft Office products for free. As a student, you’ll be likely using at least one Microsoft product. Use your academic email address to get free access
- Want to experience different culture around the UK? See what free festivals and theatre shows are available near you
- For furniture, books and other items take a look at your local Freecycle website, you might stumble upon something great – all you’ll need to do is arrange to collect it
If, at any time, you feel like you’re struggling or really worried about finances, please do speak directly to your students’ union or student advice service at your institution.
Are there any other tips you’d recommend to fellow international students? Are there any specific tips for where you live? Please add any comments below.