Check what your passport sticker (entry clearance or residence permit) or biometric residence permit (BRP) says. You should also have received detailed information in a letter when you received your entry clearance or BRP. You can work in the UK if your passport sticker or identity card says one of the following, or something similar:
- Work (and any changes) must be authorised
- Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State
- Work as in Tier 4 Rules
- Restricted Work. P/T term time. F/T vacations
- Restricted work term time
- Work limited to max 20 hrs per week during term-time
- Work limited to max 10 hrs per week during term-time.
Your passport sticker or identity card might say something a bit different from these examples, but you can work if it does not say:
- No work, or
- Work prohibited.
You must not work if your passport sticker or identity card says "No work" or "Work prohibited" because this would be a breach of your immigration conditions and a criminal offence. The Home Office can check whether someone has been working by making unannounced visits to employers and by obtaining information from the tax department, HMRC.
If you are allowed to work, find out more about the types of work you can do, your permitted hours of work and how to find employment.