We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our site you agree to our use of cookies

Find out more about cookies >
Find out how to manage cookies >

Public funds


What are 'Public funds'?

‘Public funds’ refers to a specific list in the Immigration Rules of benefits and other payments as listed below. If you have the immigration condition, ‘no recourse to public funds’ stamped in your passport or on your Biometric Residence Permit, it is unlikely that you will be able to receive any of these benefits.

From 1 April 2013, the Immigration Rules list ‘public funds’ as:

  • Universal Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Help with housing from the local authority
  • Attendance allowance
  • Carers allowance (previously invalid care allowance)
  • Child benefit
  • Council tax reduction (Note that 'council tax reduction' is different from being exempt from council tax. If your dwelling is 'exempt' from council tax, or you are 'disregarded' for the purpose of council tax, then you are not receiving a council tax reduction. See Council tax).
  • Domestic rate relief (in Northern Ireland)
  • Council tax benefit
  • Disability living allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Income support
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • Income-related employment and support allowance (ESA)
  • Severe disablement allowance
  • Social fund payments
  • Child tax credit
  • Working tax credit
  • State pension credit

Note that the benefits and services listed as ‘public funds’ above do not include access to the National Health Service, education, or any education funding (for example, being assessed as a ‘home’ fee-payer or being eligible for student support). If you are entitled to these, you would not be in breach of your immigration conditions if you claimed them.

What if I do receive 'public funds'?

If you receive ‘public funds’, you may be in breach of your immigration conditions. Breaching an immigration condition is a criminal offence and could lead to serious immigration problems, including removal from the UK and difficulties with getting an extension of leave or being allowed to come back to the UK for a specified period of time.

Important note

Some international students are encouraged to apply for benefits by agencies which are not aware that they are in the UK with immigration permission as a student, and that it would be a breach of their immigration conditions to claim the benefit. For example, if a student or their partner has a child whilst in the UK, the midwife or hospital or social work staff may encourage them to apply for Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit by providing the application forms, when in fact the student is not usually permitted to claim these benefits.

This would also apply to anyone else with the ‘No recourse to public funds’ condition stamped in their passport or on their Biometric Residence Permit.



54 People found this page helpful. Did you?